Fill hole (rot) with epoxy?

Old 09-24-16, 01:07 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fill hole (rot) with epoxy?

Hi.

I've been working on my deck all summer and scraped it, cleaned painted, etc. It came out very nice I think and I'm proud of all of my hard work.

Anyways, on the top deck there's a French door that goes into a 3 season room and then the house and below the door there's some wood painted white, but of course I want to repaint it. It's the wood below the bottom sill of the door, but I'm not sure what it's called.

Problem is is that there's a hole or two about the size of a quarter or slightly bigger that has rotted out of the wood. The rest is pretty sturdy it looks like and I realize this is most likely a temp. fix, but I was thinking of using some epoxy to fill the hole with maybe a mesh behind it and then just painting right over it.

I should probably post a pic, but I'm not home currently.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-16, 01:24 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Ya, a pic would be nice. How hard would it be to replace that piece of wood?

Old 09-24-16, 01:31 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A lot of hassle. It's the piece of wood that extends the length of the French door system underneath the sill and above the deck itself. I'll post a pic later if I get the time.

Old 09-24-16, 01:46 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
For a patch to hold up for any length of time you need to remove ALL the rot. IMO it's easier to remove the rot, square up the hole, let in a new piece of wood and seal the joints. Once you post a pic or two we can tell if replacing the board is a big hassle or not.