How to paint above kitchen cabinets

Old 10-01-16, 10:57 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to paint above kitchen cabinets

Hello everyone. This is my first post to this forum and I have a quick question about repainting our kitchen. We just purchased a new home recently and the previous owners renovated the kitchen including new cabinets. The problem is however they did a cheap and pretty poor job of painting the kitchen. I want to repaint but I have no idea how I am suppose to paint above the kitchen cabinets since they are tall cabinets with crown molding. There is literally only a 2-3 inches of space above the cabinets. How do you manage to paint the wall and ceiling above cabinets like this? The obvious answer is to remove the cabinets but I don't really want to attempt this. Is there any tricks, special tools I can use? If I simply leave the area unpainted you will be able to see when you stand farther away from the cabinets or look at them from a certain view.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-16, 12:36 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
I'd take a roller and slop the ceiling paint in there making sure it covers all of the ceiling. Once dry you can brush the wall with a long handled brush. Removing the crown and adding wood to raise the top of the cabinet and then reinstalling the crown would be another option.

Old 10-01-16, 01:29 PM
There are skinny rollers available. Use that and a long extension.

2 - 3" is enough room to get in far enough to where it won't be seen. Tape off the crown.

Old 10-01-16, 02:53 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Could you post a picture of the cabinets and space you are talking about? Try to get at least part of the cabinet in the picture. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...rt-images.html

The impression I'm getting it is only a couple of inches and maybe should just be blocked off at the front of the cabinet or the cabinets should have been installed against the ceiling.

Old 10-01-16, 04:54 PM
C
Image upload kept failing so I am just providing a link to the photo.

Name:  cabinet2.jpg
Views: 3185
Size:  22.6 KB

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxj...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by ray2047; 10-02-16 at 06:59 AM.
Old 10-01-16, 07:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 721 Votes on 667 Posts
Yep, like Brian said.... a weenie roller and an extension pole.

Old 10-02-16, 04:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
take a roller and slop the ceiling paint in there making sure it covers all of the ceiling
I probably could have worded that better Take the cigar roller and bump against the wall good with plenty of paint so the ceiling paint won't need to be brushed, that way you only have to brush the wall paint.

Still like removing the crown, adding wood as needed [stained to match] and raising the crown to the ceiling.

Old 10-02-16, 07:11 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I agree what you have is just a dust catcher. It needs to be blocked in.

( As stated in the linked instructions you must size the images to fit. Your image was over 5000 px wide. Resize to 600 px. wide and you will have no problem. I resized and inserted your image for you.)

Old 10-02-16, 08:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Being a non-painter, I would raise the cabinet(s) to where the crown touches the ceiling, then let someone paint below it. The cabinet installer should have known to do this from the beginning.