Could this be a case of bad paint (bad batch)?

Old 10-08-16, 08:39 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 1 Post
Could this be a case of bad paint (bad batch)?

Folks:

I sprayed 4 doors with Benjamin Moore Aura paint; have had great success with Aura in the past, but something STRANGE happened. The paint ran almost entirely across the doors--and I sprayed them thin and fast.

I then looked at the paint and noticed something strange with the lid. When I cleaned off all of the mixed paint from the lid, white stuff was stuck to the lid. It is a hard deposit. Like as if the base that had splashed on the lid and it hardened. While I'm sure the amount on the lid is very little of the overall base, could it be an indicator that the hardening agent went bad?

I have to say I've sprayed 30+ doors in my lifetime, and 10 for my house over the past 2 weeks. I know what its like to spray too thin or not moving fast enough and causing runs at the corners, etc; however, this ran in entire sections--like the paint was water. It came out fine but when I checked on it, all 4 of my doors had these issues. Take a look at the photo.

I've never had bad paint. Trying to confirm that it does happen sometimes.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-16, 05:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
First let me say that while a bad batch of paint does happen it is extremely rare. As a professional painter I've only ran into it twice.

What prep did you do? what did you spray with? what was the temperature?

white stuff was stuck to the lid. It is a hard deposit
As in dried untinted paint? It could be that the bucket of paint was old and/or subjected to hot conditions before it was tinted.

Old 10-10-16, 09:00 AM
M
Received 2 Votes on 1 Post
Marksr:

Thanks for the reply.

These doors were sprayed with BM Aura 1 week prior. However, that color was too light (wife didn't like it). So after a week, I thoroughly dusted them all down and sprayed them standing in the same booth I used before. Tarp on the bottom, plastic hung from the ceilings. All in our heat-controlled basement. Meaning temp was about 68 to 74 degrees. Low humidity.

As soon as my spraying was complete, I opened up one side and put a fan in a window to draw out the humidity, etc. Rather controlled spraying area.

Interesting enough, let me add to the story and this is why I'm convinced something bad happened with the paint. Please give me your thoughts on this addition.

I have 5 doors in total; all 5 had BM Aura sprayed 1 week prior.

Door 1: I decided to reduce risk of paying too much for paint that we MIGHT not like (yet again), so my wife had only 1 quart mixed. I sprayed it only this one door (and also a mantle); only dusted both prior. Paint dried great; wife loved this color and asked me to paint the other 4 doors the next day as she loved the color.

Door 2 to 4 were painted just the same; only dusted but in the booth. However, I had to have a gallon mixed of the same color and sheen, since my quart was gone. This is the gallon with the lid, etc, described below. Doors 2 through 4 all have the run issues, unlike door 1 (and a mantle) that are perfect.

So strange.

Thoughts?

Old 10-10-16, 09:06 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
While I agree with Mark that rarely is a can of paint bad, I can't argue with your logic. Have you talked to anyone at the paint store about this yet?

Old 10-10-16, 09:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
I agree it's time to have a talk with the folks at the paint store. Paint is made in a big vat so if it is a bad batch of paint they probably already know about it.