Is stain matching possible?

Old 11-02-16, 06:02 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Is stain matching possible?

I am thinking the answer is probably no, but I figured I'll ask.

I have a room with stained wood paneling. It has a bar there which I just removed.

The side of the bar, after removal, revealed a "foot print" where the stain wasn't applied so I am looking at an irregular section of raw wood.

Any chance of matching the existing stain so I can get a uniform look?

I know the paint store can do custom paint matching with a computer. Do they have anything for a stain match?

The two holes are from plumbing. One was for the drain and the other for the supply lines. The lines have been removed from the back side of the wall. So I need to plug/fill the two holes as well.

Last edited by MiamiCuse; 11-02-16 at 06:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-16, 07:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 676 Votes on 625 Posts
Painters that specialize in faux are particular enough that they could probably do a pretty good job of matching. But they would want to have a carpenter remove and replace that block with the holes in it. They could use that scrap as the sample piece with which to match the stain and finish.

The hard part is that the finish (the clear coat) will usually amber with age, giving everything a golden appearance that is pretty hard to duplicate. The distinct line between new and old will be the hardest part to hide but with some sanding and blending, a good painter might be able to make you happy... but you will pay for it.

Might be a good idea if you gave us a picture from farther back so we can see the whole piece. IT might be easier to remove a little trim, overlay a new panel, and install some new trim... just to eliminate the transition between old and new.

Old 11-03-16, 12:43 AM
Received 372 Votes on 347 Posts
Ive taken stained wood into Sherwin Williams and they matched, well it came close. About as good as trying to match paint, it's ok as long as you paint an entire wall.

Old 11-03-16, 04:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
It can be matched but it may take some skill to get the color right. Something I'd do on site. Might be matched in short order or it could take awhile. Removing that block and taking it to the paint store would be easier for most. As X said the varnish/poly will also play a big part. A perfect match today might be too dark a year or two from now.