Painting a plastic race car bed

Old 11-10-16, 10:15 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting a plastic race car bed

Hi everyone. I acquired a plastic twin sized race car bed and would like to paint it black and turn it into a bat mobile. My almost three year old will be transitioning into it and lovvvves batman.

I'm wondering what type or paint would work best. I'd prefer to use spray paint. Which would adhere well, be safe for my son, and look well?

Thanks in advanced

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-16, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
It might be hard to get a good pattern, but either Rustoleum or Krylon (maybe both?) make paints for plastic.

Ahhh, it's Krylon Fusion I was thinking of. Most home centers/hardware stores should have it. Around $6 a can. Not sure how it would stand up to a 3 y/o though.

Another thought is trim and bumper paint from an auto parts store. Duplicolor is the brand I've been using on my 12 y.o beater car. I removed all the side trim and will do the bumper covers in place. I've got 3 coats on the trim and it seems pretty hard to resist chips and such. Gives a nice semi-gloss slightly pebbled finish. $6.99 a can though.

There are other paints you could use with the correct primer that might be easier to apply, give a decent finish and could be applied with a roller. Probably cheaper and easier to touch up as well.

Old 11-11-16, 03:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 312 Votes on 278 Posts
The 2 problems with painting plastic is adhesion and wear. Cleaning along with a light scuff sanding will help with the adhesion. The coatings that Vic mentioned should adhere ok. Latex paint with Flood's EmulsaBond added should also adhere well. Not sure how any of them well wear especially with a toddler involved.

Old 11-30-16, 05:20 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Try "Krylon Fusion For Plastic Spray Paint". It's a good one