HVLP Spraying using an Acrylic paint - viscosity question.

Old 01-04-17, 11:52 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
HVLP Spraying using an Acrylic paint - viscosity question.

Hi,

I have some previously painted in dark brown acrylic, wood plantation shutters including frames donated to me, from a neighbor who has the same model home as myself.

After scuffing them up a bit with some 220 grit sandpaper, I'm going to paint them all white and install. I have purchased a Harbor Freight Pro HVLP gun Item #68843, which is waterborne paint compatible. I have a decent 5HP 30 gal compressor, so have no qualms about it providing enough CFM

What i'm really unsure about, is the viscosity. I have a Ford # 4 cup so am able to measure viscosity. The nozzle on the gun is 1.4

It should be mentioned that i've never spray painted anything ever, but i think after practicing some, i'll get it done ok.... So this is a learning experience for me.

Given my nozzle is a 1.4. I'm really not sure what i should be aiming for as a starting point on viscosity. I also have some floetrol latex paint additive.

The paint i purchased, which says its good for spraying...... But that bad thing is the instructions only gives specs for an airless setup (2000psi .017" - .021" tip)

As above, I have a gravity fed HVLP spray gun with the 1.4 nozzle. I'll be setting the gun up to have around 22psi at the gun itself, as that's what is generally recommended on YouTube for yielding best results. Here's a pic of the paint.

Does anyone know of a way to figure out what viscosity i should be using, which i can measure using a Ford # Viscostiy Cup ??? using a 1.4 nozzle ?

Or at least give me some sort of reference ? Should i even be using the floetrol? The back of the paint tin says thinning not req'd, but that could be with a roller in mind, and not an HVLP gun.

Any tips from those in the know appreciated.

Thanks

Old 01-04-17, 01:46 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
You'll never spray latex with an HVLP without thinning it a good bit, more than what the paint label recommends. I had a viscosity cup many yrs ago but found it a PITA. I've always just thinned by eyeball. Floetrol won't help. Since you've never sprayed before I'd suggest practicing first! that way you can fiddle with the thinning until you get it to atomize correctly.

Old 01-04-17, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
A suction type sprayer is not really very good for latex paint.
You have to thin it so much that you will get poor coverage and would need many coats.

A pressure type sprayer like what commercial painters use would be what you need.
They have relatively inexpensive ones for homeowner use or types like the Wagner Power Painter which work fairly well work well and are cheap to buy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: