How can i stop the paint chipping around cabinet handles?

Old 02-13-17, 02:24 PM
T
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
How can i stop the paint chipping around cabinet handles?

Every time i paint them, the paint chips off really bad around the handles. Is there a certain type of paint, or maybe a clear protectant, that can be used to prevent this?

I have been using just a regular latex paint.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-17, 03:32 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
While some latex paints are more durable than others I believe the main culprit is the lack of a solvent based primer between the original finish and the latex enamel. I'd sand them down, apply an oil base primer and then your latex enamel. I'm partial to waterborne enamels as they dry almost as hard as oil base but don't yellow as it ages. Waterborne enamel does tend to be one of the more expensive enamels.

Old 02-13-17, 04:49 PM
T
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Yeah i didnt prep the cabinets before painting, i just slapped it on there. Was hoping there might be a clear coat something or other that i could put on top of the latex, but maybe not.

Ah well. If i sand them down someday, i'll probably only do the doors that get used often... so maybe it wont be that big of a chore.

Thanks.

Old 02-14-17, 04:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
The issue is mainly that the paint isn't adhering well to the cabinet's finish. There isn't anything you can apply over the paint to make the underlying paint adhere better.

Old 02-14-17, 04:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Sanding is not the chore if you use the right tools. Random orbital sander will work or a belt sander. You will use a lot of sand paper as it will fill up with paint. Belt sanders can be very aggressive so be careful with it.