How to paint tricky corner between two door casings?

Old 02-27-17, 09:30 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to paint tricky corner between two door casings?

So here is my next dilemma in my house painting adventures...

I have an inside corner where there are doors on both walls really close to the corner. The door casings are very close to each other which makes it really difficult to access the wall in between with a brush.

How would you paint the walls in that corner? Any tips for avoiding a huge mess on the trim beyond covering the face of the trim in tape?

When I was priming the walls there, I tried to jam a 1" brush and wiggle it around, but still couldn't get all the wall surface, especially on the wall to the right, and I got a lot of primer on the trim that I had to clean up but I'm afraid of doing that with the finish colors as the walls will be much darker than the trim.

Here is the corner I'm talking about:

Name:  center.jpg
Views: 6241
Size:  17.7 KB

The opening between the casings to access the left wall is about 1/2":

Name:  left wall.jpg
Views: 4714
Size:  13.2 KB

The opening hereto access the right wall is barely 1/8" !:

Name:  right wall.jpg
Views: 4757
Size:  15.8 KB

Old 02-27-17, 11:06 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I'm for covering the full face of the trim with tape. I would use a few strips of paper with one strip of painters tape for each side. With the tape wrapped around the corner where the edge is out of sight you can squeeze a brush in between or use one of the small throw away foam brushes. For really tight spots I just go to an artist's brush and take my time.

Painting isn't my profession but I get by.

Bud

Old 02-28-17, 01:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Assuming you are going to also paint the trim? If so, pull one side off, do all your painting, then reattach trim. Even if it isn't going to be painted, it should be relatively easy to remove and reattach.

Old 02-28-17, 01:26 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I've got similar but it's about 1 1/2 wide and was able to install two rows of painters tape and get a brush in between.

Third option, just paint it the same color as trim. Right now you are focused on it, in the future it will blend in and you wont even see it.

Old 02-28-17, 04:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
When I can get by with it - I'll paint those areas with the trim paint, when I can't - I'll use a brush small enough to get in there. I wouldn't bother taping off the trim but keep a wet rag handy to wipe off any errant wall paint.

Old 02-28-17, 09:23 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Alright, I'll try to cover the trim with tape as well as possible... thanks folks!

@marksr: I actually did the cleanup with a wet rag when I was priming (did not tape), but because it was so difficult to get into the spots, the whole thing was taking a long time and the paint that got on the trim started to dry. I was able to wipe most of it off, but had to let dry and sand off a few spots... I'm afraid I may not be fast enough in that spot to just wipe any smears off.

@Gunguy45: I am painting the trim as well, but I really don't want to take it off. I had to remove the trim on another door a couple of months ago and whoever installed them put a LOT of nails in there. I couldn't get any of the pieces off back then without breaking or cracking them and ended up having to buy new pieces for it! I'm assuming that this door is going to be the same... Besides, the existing trim is primed and sanded and ready to go already!

Old 03-01-17, 03:42 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
IF you remove the trim you need to take a utility knife and cut the caulk and paint along the perimeter. Some times it's beneficial to drive the nails thru with a punch or pry the wood slightly loose and cut them with a sawsall. Personally I'd opt for a small brush.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: