What is a good sprayer for around the house

Old 04-14-17, 04:30 AM
C
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Question What is a good sprayer for around the house

I'm looking for a good spray tool that I can use for multiple paint jobs like house, deck, drywall, texture drywall, and finish wood. Are there such tools that can master multiple jobs in one? I'm looking for one, recommendations are appreciated.

Old 04-14-17, 04:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
It takes a good size airless to pump texture. Most any airless will spray latex or oil base, paint, stain or varnish/poly. It's not as easy as just pulling the trigger! There is a learning curve, not to mention the prep involved to contain overspray. I rarely ever spray in an occupied dwelling. Even on the outside of a residence you need to be mindful of where the overspray might go!

Old 04-14-17, 04:45 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
There really is no single tool that will do everything that you have indicated.

Drywall texturing is a completely different animal that uses a hopper to spray mud for texture.

The other items you mention could be grouped together into a painting pressure system.

Don't even consider the Wagner type line of hand sprayers they are all junk, the only wagner tool I used with decent results was called Paint Crew, it was a pressure system.

I's probably the cheapest you will find but I cant vouch for long term quality as I sold it after the one job.

Old 04-14-17, 04:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
There are airless pumps that will spray texture but they aren't small or cheap! A Graco 433 will spray orange peel texture but you'd probably have to step up to a 733 to spray mud heavy enough for knockdown. Due to the price they aren't for most paint contractors and definitely out of the diy realm!

I agree a compressor and hopper are best for most of us when it comes to texture.

Old 04-14-17, 04:57 AM
C
marksr, that is one of the many reasons I keeps me from purchasing a sprayer. For some reason, when I use a sprayer, it uses more paint than a roller/brush in hand. However, I have a whole basement that I just finish putting up the drywall that I will be need to texture then paint. Thus, I was wondering if there is a better/faster way to finish the job. And if I'm considering purchasing a sprayer, I was wondering if there is a good tool that can (does have to be) do all of those task well and last. I won't be doing a lot of drywall painting but I'm hoping to do a lot more wood finish staining. So, I'm looking for a good sprayer that can do as many task a possible.

Old 04-14-17, 05:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If I took your job, I'd use a hopper to spray the texture and then brush/roll the primer and paint. I own 2 airless pumps and an assortment of conventional spray equipment but IMO there isn't that much time savings [prep and cleanup] Errant texture isn't too bad to clean up since it's water soluble but if overspray gets where it shouldn't ......

Old 04-14-17, 05:11 AM
C
Awesome! Thank you for the suggestion. I appreciated very much. By the way the hopper texture sprayer uses air compressor, correct?

Old 04-14-17, 05:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, most of them do. There are a few that are self contained and don't require an air compressor but I've never used one. From what I've seen they are heavier than the traditional hopper gun. Not sure if they are noisier or if it's just because the motor is in your hand instead of on the truck, next room, etc.

Old 04-14-17, 05:50 AM
C
Would a small pancake 6 gallon compressor be enough for a hand held hopper sprayer gun? If it works, I have one already.

Old 04-14-17, 05:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Probably, I don't know what the cfm requirements are for a hopper gun
I have sprayed texture on repairs with those little tankless compressors [only put out 20psi or so] Worst case scenario you'd have to wait on the air compressor to catch up.

When spraying ceiling texture it's beneficial to add a 45° PVC connector between the hopper and the gun. I don't remember if it's 1.25" or 1.5" ..... you can thank me later

Old 04-15-17, 06:40 AM
C
Thanks, Marksr! I'm thinking about purchasing the MARSHALLTOWN The Premier Line SS20 SharpShooter 2.0 Hopper Gu with the angle adapter.

Old 04-15-17, 09:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
While I'm not familiar with that brand it's similar to the Goldblatt I use. They are a pretty simple design.
My 'adapter' came from a big box plumbing dept, you should be able to get it for considerably less.

Old 05-01-17, 08:42 AM
P
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
This is great topic that I was about to start but my situation is a bit different.....
I am now an owner of 2 properties that I rent and I do all the basic maintenance myself...
One property has a large fence and another has a small deck - getting ready to paint using brush and rollers but wonder if the $250 or so investment in a sprayer would be good.
I wonder how much time and effort (if you include prep and post- cleaning) would I save going from basics tools to a sprayers....consider that I probably wouldn't use it more than a few times a year.....at best

Old 05-01-17, 08:50 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Considering you typically need to backroll on a fence or deck, I wouldn't spray.

Well, you need to backroll stain but paint over decent shape paint you could get away with spraying.

Old 05-01-17, 09:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The big thing to remember is 'where will the overspray go' While I've done a lot of new construction spraying I seldom spray repaints. The time needed to contain the overspray often negates any time saved. As mentioned most coatings sprayed over wood [or drywall] benefit from back rolling [or brushing] to work the coating into the substrate.

That said, I'll occasionally spray siding, seldom spray decks but almost always spray fencing.

Old 05-01-17, 09:22 AM
P
Spending $250 just to do a fence and really not being able to use the tool more frequently - wouldn't make sense...I guess, just like the OP - I was wondering if the sprayers give people like me or Charlie the benefit of making our lives easier.... $250 is something I am willing to spend if I can ease my maintenance routine...and can use the tool few times for few different projects.

as a DIY'er I am willing to buy some nice tools but also hate buying a tool for "one-time" use....

Old 05-01-17, 09:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
They do rent airless spray pumps. They aren't top of the line pumps but a lot better than the diy type ones.

Old 05-01-17, 10:49 AM
P
Well...I guess what would help me the most if an expert would tell me how long to paint a wooden fence (6x8 panels x 11 panels = 90 feet long) using 5inch brush and roller vs a sprayer.

For sprayer please add time to prep and clean the equipment.
Assume person doing it, is experienced with standard tools but not with a sprayer.

are we talking about 4hrs vs 30 min or more like 4 hrs vs 3hrs....

Thank you!

Old 05-01-17, 11:08 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
5" brush - that makes my elbow hurt I still have a few but don't remember the last time I used one guess I'm getting old

Is it a stockade fence, shadow box or something else. It's difficult to brush/roll a shadow box fence but for the most part it isn't too bad to brush/roll a stockade fence. At 90' I'd want to spray [and probably back roll] but I do own spray equipment and know how to use it. If brushing/rolling it's not as big a deal to stop/start if you need to do it in sections.

It would probably take an hour to set up, spray and clean up the fence if you spray it. Terrain and surroundings could add to that time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: