High temp paint and primer

Old 05-04-17, 10:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High temp paint and primer

I've got an older grill/smoker that's still in good working condition, but the outside is looking kind of "old." Has some surface rust and is well faded. I can sand away the rust and I'd like to repaint it, black, it's original color. Can someone recommend a high temp primer and paint I could use for this? It would have to be "rattle can" paint I have no compressor or spray gun equipment.

Old 05-04-17, 10:25 AM
C
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts
I've used rustoleum high heat primer and high heat black spray paint with decent results. They have a couple of versions. IIRC, the BBQ version is more of a flat sheen, while the ultra enamel is more gloss or semi gloss.

The paints say no primer is required, but I think it gives you better results if you prime first; more even color and sheen.

I will say that a BBQ is a tough application for paint, and it doesn't seem to last more than a few years so don't expect it to.

It's also both hard and important to get all traces of grease off before painting and to prime right away after final prep, especially if your BBQ is steel as it will start to rust quickly.

Old 05-04-17, 11:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. Looked at Amazon and they sell the Rustoleum BBQ paint for less that $4.00 a can. I'd probably need at least 2 cans for my grill.

While there I also remembered, from my younger days, high temp engine paint. It's good to 2000 degrees while the Rustoleum is only good to 1200. It also comes in many colors, including "Pink." Could try to convince the wife it's a new "Women's rights" grill and she has to cook while I sit back and "feel bad!"

Old 05-04-17, 01:37 PM
C
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts
Not going there tranch! If I tried that with LOML, she would get me a pink apron to wear while cooking dinner on *my* pink grill.

Old 05-04-17, 01:45 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 698 Likes on 616 Posts
Paul that would be a sight to see ..... but I'd probably hurt myself when I fell down laughing

While I believe in using the correct primer for the job at hand, I don't recall ever seeing/using a heat rated primer and have always used BBQ black or engine enamel without a primer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: