Paint Stripper - Concrete

Old 05-26-17, 12:29 PM
P
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Paint Stripper - Concrete

I am preparing to paint my concrete basement floor that has 3 layers of old paint already in place. I thought the old paint might hold up, so I scrubbed the floor with TSP. This caused the top layer of paint to wrinkle. I can scrape the floor with a puddy knife and the paint will come up, but it's not easy work and this isn't a small area. This is a basement, so pressure washing, grinding, chipping, and sanding are out. Unfortunately, I'm now considering a chemical paint stripper.

What strippers work best on concrete? Are any less-toxic than others (again, basement)?

Thanks!

Old 05-26-17, 12:32 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I'm not aware of any different stripper needed for concrete as opposed to wood. The more caustic the stripper the more effective it is. Sounds like you might be able to use a less aggressive stripper since the old paint is already coming off.

Old 05-26-17, 12:52 PM
P
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Any experience with EZ Strip (water based) or a soy-based stripper? They seem much better for indoor applications, but they are expensive and I'd like to know they work before going that route. The soy-based option I found is $75 for 100 sq ft coverage.

Old 05-26-17, 01:33 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I don't use strippers very often and when I do that type of job I usually ask the folks at the paint store which one would be best for the job at hand. I think the citrus based strippers are economical although I do know they don't work well with stubborn paint [but yours might not be]

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: