Advice on repainting over paint that was put on over poorly removed wallpaper

Old 05-27-17, 07:59 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Advice on repainting over paint that was put on over poorly removed wallpaper

I am preparing to re-paint a bathroom that originally had wallpaper. The last person to paint removed some of the paper but left a lot of pieces of paper and glue and then just painted over it. They painted over some of the wallpaper and didn't remove all of it to begin with. I believe that the original wallpaper was put on over unprimed sheetrock or drywall (difference?). The painted walls are very textured looking and not in a good way. I want to make it smooth. Do I need to sand then prime over the paint that is there. It isn't bubbling. This is the guest bathroom and isn't used very often so there isn't a lot of moisture on the walls on a continual basis. I was thinking of skim coating after sanding to try to make the walls smoother. Is this a good idea? Or what should I do? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-17, 10:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Sounds like a mess I'd scrape/sand as needed a then skim over it with joint compound. If there are any areas where the paper is loose, that should be cut out and coated with a solvent based primer. Ideally all the wallpaper would be stripped off but sometimes you have to play the hand you are dealt. When paper is hung over unprimed drywall it's all but impossible to remove.

Sheetrock is a name brand of drywall, many use it interchangeably.