storing cans spray paint

Old 06-06-17, 10:23 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
storing cans spray paint

So I recently bought a case of 12 aerosol spray cans of inverted marking paint but only needed/used about half. I know I'll be needing the other half, but not until a full year from now. If I store remainder of the (unused) cans in a warm dry place until that time, should they still be fine and good to use then, or can just sitting there for a long time be somehow detrimental to the functioning of those cans when it comes time a year from now for me to use them. Because if so, I'll take the cans back to the store for credit now and buy the additional paint I need next year; otherwise if they'll be fine I'll just keep em until then.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-17, 10:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 294 Posts
I think it's a crap shoot. I've had spray cans sit on the shelf for a few years and work great while others would be problematic after less than a year. Extreme heat [maybe cold] is the worst on paint storage no matter what type of paint or container.

Old 06-06-17, 10:28 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 686 Votes on 633 Posts
Take them back and then purchase new cans when you need them in the future. The cans should still be good in a year but I have had used and unused cans go flat and worst is when a valve develops a slow leak and slowly pumps paint out making a major mess.

Old 06-06-17, 10:30 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I have had the occasional spray can of things like insect repellent slowly lose propellant over a year or more time, but have never had a can of spray paint do so. I think you'll be fine. A partially used can is probably more likely to slow leak, but a never used can should be fine.

Old 06-06-17, 10:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 294 Posts
Where these the same spray cans you had a hard time finding a few weeks back? discontinued??

Old 06-06-17, 11:21 AM
Where these the same spray cans you had a hard time finding a few weeks back? discontinued??
yup, but if worse came to worse I could "special order" more of this paint closer to next year when I will need it again, and have it available then. But preferably I'd like to just keep these cans if they should indeed still be fine then.

Old 06-06-17, 11:24 AM
I think it's a crap shoot.
I think so too.
thanks for the replies