Cabinet Painting: Cabinet Coat vs Benjamin Moore Advance

Old 06-08-17, 08:13 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cabinet Painting: Cabinet Coat vs Benjamin Moore Advance

I have knotty pine cabinets from the 1950s that I'm about to repaint. I've been researching for weeks and have narrowed it down to BIN primer (to properly seal the knots) and either Cabinet Coat or Benjamin Moore Advance. I've read great things about both and am on the fence. Both are the same price, I know both are made by BM. I'm aware Cabinet Coat has a very slight blue tint to it and I've read that BM Advance can very slightly yellow over time. My main concern is durability and cure time. Has anyone had great or bad experiences with either that can lean me either way?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-17, 08:39 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
If you're going BM, Satin Impervo would be my first choice.

Old 06-09-17, 03:50 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Cabinet Coat and Advance are both are made specifically for cabinets doors and trim, but you probably already know that. I went into BM to purchase Cabinet Coat and the guy said he would choose Advance. I went home, did more research, and ended up buying the Advance. If I had it to do over again, I dunno...might go the same way, might choose CC. The Advance does level beautifully, but as I have said several times, it's "drippy". 16 hours sanding/recoat time, so be aware aware of that. I'm happy with my cabinets, but I expect that CC would have done a great job as well. (Oh, note that the satin sheen in Advance is really closer to a semi-gloss. The semi-gloss is a VERY shiny finish, so I chose the satin.)

BM Advance vs BM Cabinet-Coat

Satin Impervo Acrylic vs. Advance for Kitchen Cabinets - Page 2 - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum

Home and Garden DIY Ideas, Photos and Answers | Hometalk