Leave Kilz alone?

Old 06-16-17, 05:46 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leave Kilz alone?

I have a partial unfinished basement. The unfinished part, there is one section I used Kilz 2 to cover up some smells. I don't want to paint it, but I heard you don't want to leave a primer without putting regular paint over it otherwise it will pick up smells. Do I really need to put a top coat on? I don't care how it looks since I'm going to put a tool cabinet on that wall and other shelving, etc. So it won't be seen.

Old 06-16-17, 05:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
The same paint that covers smells will pick up smells? (Isn't that an oxymoron?) The only reason to paint it is if you want to.
FWIW, kilz2 is one of my least favorite primers.

Old 06-17-17, 03:39 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
While primer won't wear or clean as well as finish paint I've never heard of it [or any coating] being prone to attract/hold odors. Why type of smell are you trying to block? If it's a musty smell it would be a good idea to use a dehumidifier .... basements are prone to have a higher humidity.

I'm also not fond of Kilz2. It won't seal stains or odors near as well as it's oil base counterpart.

Old 06-19-17, 08:45 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
One more vote for never using Kilz2 (the original oil based primer is ok). Primers are not intended to be top coats and are not durable nor likely to stay the same color but I've never heard of them picking up odors. If this is going to be covered, I see no reason to paint at least those parts which will not show.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: