Painting lower walls below chair-rail - swirl/sand finish

Old 06-26-17, 10:30 AM
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Painting lower walls below chair-rail - swirl/sand finish

I've finished my trim and (upper) walls, it turned out beautifully. But now with the new paint, the dirty lower walls look even worse, so they are next on the list. Just looking for advice before I start.

I've never painted the swirled sand finish - is there a trick to it? I used a Jumbo Koter roller with this https://www.amazon.com/Wooster-Brush.../dp/B0001N9YG2 cover on the upper walls and it worked very nicely.

1. Do I need something different for the lower walls since they are not smooth?

2. And on the paint - I used BM Regal Select on the smooth upper walls, and it is beautiful. But I'm wondering if I would be just as well off to use a less expensive paint on the lower walls since they are that sandy/bumpy texture.

3. I assume that eggshell would be okay on that wall as well?

Old 06-26-17, 11:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I wouldn't skimp on the quality of paint. Generally if I have to skimp it will be on the ceiling.
More than likely a 1/2" nap would work well over the texture.

Old 06-28-17, 05:08 AM
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Ok, thanks. Did some reading on Behr (which was what I thought I might use) and the reviews are mixed - some say the coverage sucks. Guess I will stick with BM Regal - have to say that painting with that stuff was a pure pleasure.

Old 06-28-17, 05:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I've used very little Behr but while a few like it, most have a poor opinion. As an employee I've applied a good bit of cheap paint and for the most part cheaper paints don't cover as well and just seem harder to use. IMO it's generally a good idea to use the best paint you can afford.

Old 06-28-17, 08:26 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I've never used Behr based solely on the horror stories I've read here from people using it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: