A Tacky Situation

Old 07-07-17, 08:09 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A Tacky Situation

Since we are putting the house up for sale, I decided to paint one of the bedrooms. Long story short I did not like the final color on the accent wall in one of the bedrooms. I used a Sico eggshell latex paint and let the paint dry for 4-6 hours as directed. Its now been 2 days since the paint on the accent wall was put up and it still feels tacky. I want to get rid of the color ASAP. I did pick up some Zinsser Bullseye 123 primer, but the paint is still tacky and I'm unsure if I should proceed. Responses are welcome!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-17, 08:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 294 Posts
You need to let it dry first. Setting up a fan or two for better air circulation will help. What was the condition of the walls prior to painting? contaminants can affect drying time. A primer isn't normally needed to change colors.

Old 07-07-17, 08:27 AM
D
Prior to painting, all walls had been primed with kilz 2, a primer which I'll probably rarely ever use again. Before the inital priming, I cleaned the wall with TSP and rinsed as needed.

Old 07-07-17, 08:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Hopefully the TSP got rinsed off well. I know it's residue can cause adhesion issues, don't know if it can affect drying. I assume the Kilz2 was dry before applying the finish paint ? Multiple coats can slow down the drying time but after 2 days it should have been dry. Hopefully air circulation will dry it.

Old 07-07-17, 08:50 AM
D
I set up two fans in the room to help the paint dry out, I do remember on the initial day one of the coats was put up, it got really cold out at night and the window to that room was open, so that may have something to do with it. The primer was 100% dry before the paint and all walls had received 2 coats of it. I'll let you know how it goes!

Old 07-07-17, 12:14 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Cool and/or damp conditions will slow the drying time down but it still should have been dry by now. Hopefully the air circulation will do the trick. Paints with a lot of colorant added also tend to dry slower.

Old 07-07-17, 01:12 PM
D
I should also add that the color is a DARK blue