Terrible Paint Coverage

Old 09-15-17, 09:24 AM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Terrible Paint Coverage

Went to my local lumber yard for a gallon of Navajo White for my garage doors.

Valspar Medallion Paint & Primer
One Coat Cover
Exterior-Latex-Satin
$39.99 + tax

I've painted these doors the same color for 28 years, never needed two coats.

Doing the first coat it was horrible. Okay, maybe stir it more. Might helped a little, not much.

Cheap Amazon brush? Went and bought me a Purdy XL 3" (thanks for the suggestions
here, wonderful brush) for the second coat. Went on nice but still had to watch coverage.

First day was around 80, painting in the shade. Second started around 70 and dropping.

Guy said it took very little tint, seemed sorta thick like it should be. Anyone have an idea
what I could have been doing wrong? I'm stumped.

Thanks

Old 09-15-17, 09:39 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Could they have mixed it with the wrong base? I assume the entire can was mixed/stirred thoroughly.

Old 09-15-17, 10:11 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
How were the doors prepped? Was the old paint chalky? I probably would have cut in with a brush then rolled.

Old 09-15-17, 12:23 PM
B
marksr Could they have mixed it with the wrong base? I assume the entire can was mixed/stirred thoroughly.
He put it in the machine but I didn't use it for a couple days. Not sure what all this means but it
looks correct to me.

Sticker On Cover

Base: Pstl 4108
Illuminant: Daylight
Ext Ltx Satin
Ounces Shots
C-13
L-2

Label On Can

Pastel Base 4108
(must be tinted)

Even though I stirred it is it possible that was not enough and that did this? The second day I mixed like crazy and that didn't make much difference.

Here's a picture where you can see the new and old, very close when dry.

Name:  Navajo.JPG
Views: 257
Size:  52.0 KB

Old 09-15-17, 12:29 PM
B
XSleeper How were the doors prepped? Was the old paint chalky?
I gave them a bleach/water scrubbing a while back then a light sanding with my RO Sander before painting so not chalky at all. It was almost like paint white over black but not that extreme, you could really see it though.

I'm far from a perfectionist but this really surprised me and that is what makes me crazy, something I don't understand does that.

Thanks guys.

Old 09-15-17, 01:34 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Chalkiness doesn't affect coverage much but does prevent good adhesion. It looks like it's a pastel base which would likely be correct, you might double check with the store [or Valspar if you don't trust the store]. Regular white paint can be tinted a little. When a base that requires more tint than what is needed for that color is used - the paint tends to be somewhat transparent. The paint should have stayed well mixed longer than a few days after being taken off the shaker so I doubt that is the issue.

Old 09-15-17, 04:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I guess where I was going with that was that certain cleaners like TSP will leave a slippery film if its not rinsed well. Then your brush is more likely to leave streaks and there is poor coverage due to the surface not being rinsed clean as the paint re-hydrates the residue.

If the cleaner (your bleach solution) felt slippery on your hands its possible something similar happened.

Old 09-16-17, 02:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It never dawned on me that something on the exterior wouldn't get rinse well after all that is the easy part
Failure to rinse TSP adequately often results in adhesion issues. Not sure about bleach other than I believe it rinses off easier than TSP.

Old 09-16-17, 04:38 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I have said many times before, there is absolutly nothing made that is "one coat".

It's a gimmick that tries to make you think you will have less work, kind of like paint and primer!

Also, Valspar is a cheap brand of paint, so no surprise the results were a disappointment.

Here is an article that show how bad the Valspar coverage is!

Paint Worth the Price? Valspar, Duron, Behr, and Ralph Lauren Review - One Project Closer

Try a premium Sherwin Williams or Pratt and Lambert brand!

Old 09-16-17, 11:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Back in the 70s Valspar made some excellent oil base exterior siding paint. I know very little about their latex paints. I do know that most any coating sold at a big box is there because of low price. Glidden makes some great paint but you won't find that line at a big box store. SWP also has some coatings that aren't fit to use imo. Even so cheap paint should have covered better than described in post #1

Old 09-17-17, 06:14 AM
B
Found this yesterday which explains why our lumber yard sells Valspar now:

"We will not reformulate the paints. Ace sold its manufacturing facilities to Valspar but not the technology, and the agreement is for Valspar to produce Ace paints to our specifications,"

"They'll be different from the ones sold at Lowe's,"

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...ints/index.htm

I'll add more later, dog wants breakfast.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: