Zinc Anti-Rust Spray - Toxic?

Old 10-15-17, 10:57 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Zinc Anti-Rust Spray - Toxic?

Hi all, I'm totally new to this home improvement stuff so pardon the dumb question.

I recently purchased gym equipment to construct a home gym outside on my patio. Because it was outside, I had this great idea to try and spray it down with Krylon Rust Tough - Zinc Rich Primer to prevent rusting. I only thought to think about whether this stuff was safe for me AFTER I had already sprayed it all over the place. After looking it up, I discover that Zinc Chromate is cancerous. But Zinc Chromate is supposedly a bright yellow, and this stuff I used is grey (though the directions on the back indicate it has carcinogens in it as well). I'm going to be touching this equipment frequently. So the real question is, what should I do? I haven't put anything else on it, just the spray. Should I figure out a way to strip it off? Do I spray something else on it to seal it in? Or do I just leave it alone and its fine?

Thanks everyone!

Old 10-15-17, 11:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

When exercising.... a painted surface never holds up well with the oils of the skin.
Usually the bars have slide-on rubber or plastic grips.
Have you considered putting some type of grips on ?

Old 10-15-17, 11:28 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. I'm planning on putting some sort of grips on. But what I have is a squat cage, and I sprayed the entire cage (pillars, support, etc.). It has since dried, but I'm wondering whether it'll be dangerous just to be around it. Is this type of stuff only dangerous before its dried? or is there something else I need to be looking out for?

Old 10-15-17, 12:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Once it's dry it's perfectly safe to be around.
The constant skin contact to the dried paint is what should be avoided.

Old 10-16-17, 12:23 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
That zinc-rich paint is a soft coating and it WILL wear off fairly easily. I strongly suggest that you add a couple of coats of a tough enamel over it.

Old 10-16-17, 02:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I've never applied any zinc chromate primer that wasn't yellow although it has been years since I've used any. All primers should be top coated! Generally it's the vapors while wet and/or the dust from sanding that can be hazardous to your health. I'd apply a good top coat or two and not worry about it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: