Which first

Old 10-27-17, 05:55 PM
Received 16 Upvotes on 15 Posts
Which first

Redoing a bedroom, sheetrock is all done, spackled and primed. We are installing stained pine door jambs, molding , and trim. Do we do trim first, caulk and then paint, or paint first then install molding and trim? I was told by a contractor to do trim and caulk first so any gaps are filled and cutting in can be done right up to moldings. I realise that a lot of cutting in will need to be done this way but I'm not doing the painting myself. Lol

Old 10-27-17, 06:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
If you have the option, definitely paint first, trim later. If the trim was painted it would be a completely different story because the trim would be caulked to the wall. Stained trim is not caulked to the wall.

Old 10-28-17, 02:59 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I agree, it would be a lot easier/quicker to paint first and touch up the paint after the woodwork is installed. Stained woodwork rarely gets caulked to the wall.

Old 10-28-17, 05:09 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
All molding and trim is installed, stained and varnished, or what every method is being used.

After it is well dried, you mask it off then paint the ceiling,

After ceiling is dry you paint the walls,

Remove tape and caulk a small bead along the edges of the trim against the painted wall with a caulk the color of the wall to hide any small gap or paint edge.

Then stand back and enjoy a perfect room paint job!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: