Refinished cast iron tub chip

Old 11-18-17, 10:15 AM
M
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Refinished cast iron tub chip

I have a refinished cast iron tub that has a chip and I think the chip was exposed to moisture for a while.

It's on the top edge of the tub by the wall. Very small, smaller than a penny.

Can this be "repaired" or do I need to enlarge the chip, sand down to bare metal, then refinish the entire tub?

Old 11-18-17, 11:11 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I usually call my reglazer. He will repair the chip, usually with bondo, then sand down and respray the whole tub. Problem being that the area is glossy and will not hold a repair, sanding will get rid of the gloss and you will be left with a new problem. Home center reglazing kits do not have a great track record as most times the tubs are insufficiently prepared in advance and no primer coat is used.

Old 11-18-17, 11:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I agree, it's better to hire a pro than diy this type of repair.

Old 11-18-17, 11:29 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It's expensive but there are companies that will place a one piece liner in your tub. You might want to consider it someday. I went through factory training and they can identify your tub just through certain measurements. The liners are molded from your exact tub.
I'm not all that fond of tub liners but some of them are pretty nice and will last. I'd rather have a liner than refinished porcelain.

Old 11-18-17, 05:04 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Had my reglazer refinish close to 100 tubs and they look fabulous when finished. He performs exactly what the original factory did except he can not fire the tub after glazing. Looks like new and wears very well. Many of those reglazes were at a hotel which sees much more abuse than a residential job.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: