Is it worth repainting kitchen cabinets?

Old 11-23-17, 08:36 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Is it worth repainting kitchen cabinets?

Hi.

I attached a few pics of our kitchen cabinets. We would really like whites ones along with new tile backsplash. Is it worth trying to paint these myself or hire someone to do it? I think the only way I would be happy is if I sprayed them. I am not sure how they would look with brush strokes on them.

Either way this is going to be a major job. I would want to paint every aspect of them including the shelves and interiors.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-17, 08:55 AM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
My suggestion is look for new tile for the back splash first. I'm assuming you want to brighten up the area because of the" too much wood look". Then decide if you still want to paint the cupboards. You might also want to consider the floor.

Personally I love the wood look. The white seems too sterile or "institutional" to my liking. But that's me!

Old 11-23-17, 08:59 AM
S
Yea maybe youíre right. We are going to sand and stain the floors dark brown. We had a white county looking kitchen with white subway tile before and it looked great. But these countertops are brownish so I am not sure white will look good. We had beautiful grayish granite counter tops in our previous kitchen.

Old 11-23-17, 09:27 AM
By your answer above I take it this is a new dwelling for you. Would you consider replacement of the counter tops?

Also what about the lighting. Would you consider going to daylite LED bulbs? That would give you a harsher light but better vision in terms of the working area like over the sink, stove and working counter tops. You can still keep the warm bulbs for over the eating area. Philips make a 3 color bulb (low warm light, and a daylite and warm lite of the same brightness) that can be used in a normal single pole switch. This is not a three way light bulb. Before you make any remodeling decisions, experiment with lighting first for a just a few dollars in expense.

Old 11-23-17, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would keep the wood look, the cabinets look nice. If you want to paint I would use the paint in the link below.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ole...8060/300496614

I have seen many kitchens where homeowners have used this kit to paint cabinets and the average person can get professional results.
The first time I saw cabinets painted with this I thought they were factory painted.

I would definitely not recommend painting the interior of the cabinets. The melamine is easy to clean and paint is asking for trouble.

Old 11-23-17, 01:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
I personally like the wood look, To brighten it I would paint walls and ceiling. Bright white ceiling and white or a real pale color. Any color you like other than brown.

Old 11-23-17, 02:43 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 314 Votes on 279 Posts
I'd also recommend keeping the stain finish. Without the proper prep and choice of coatings the paint can chip/peel. Paint will always show wear sooner/more than stain/poly will.

Old 11-23-17, 03:47 PM
R
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
Those are very nice looking cabinets I think you will regret painting them. It might be a good idea in your vision but doing so most often doesn't produce the desired result, been there, done that, and will NEVER even entertain that notion again.

Old 11-24-17, 09:42 AM
S
Gosh. Maybe we just start with the backsplash and get the floors stained dark. Maybe that will give us enough contrast and change things up. It just looks like a lot of the same color throughout with the cabinets being down, the countertops brown, and the floor. I guess we could change the counter tops but we never thought of that. The stone is nice although not our favorite color. The cupboards aren't bad at all. Maybe if we change out the hardware as well that will help.

Any ideas on what color or style of backsplash you would do if we keep these cupboards.

Old 11-24-17, 10:07 AM
I install cabinets for a living. You have a nice kitchen. The counter is very expensive and the sinks and faucets are high quality.
Here's a link to Dal-Tile, they are used by every pro I know as a source.
Mosaic Tile | Daltile
Below is just a random sample of the type of splash I would use. You can address the hardware here later, there are many options.
Do a search (just as an example/idea) of 192mm pulls. One model is BP19012SS

Attached Images  
Old 11-24-17, 10:37 AM
S
Received 26 Votes on 18 Posts
It's a very nice kitchen, and I really like the cabinets, but I agree it's a bit sedate. We had wood cabinets, wood paneling, and wood laminate countertops when we moved in. It was like being inside of a tree. We kept the wood cabinets, but painted the countertops with a kit, did some cheap stick-on marble look tile over the paneling, and added some splashes of color with paint, and it was a tremendous transformation for under $100. I'm not saying that's what you should do, just that simple changes can make a big difference.

In addition to paint and tile like people said, here are some other thoughts: Replace the stools with something not wood tone. Maybe stainless to match the fixtures, or perhaps painted, with a pop of color in the upholstery. If you're in to curtains, a simple valence over the windows with a complimentary color. Replace the mat in front of the sink with a more colorful one. Perhaps some colored pottery or some of those decorative bottles filled with colorful veggies could be placed above the cabinets. (There are also some guides for making those bottles online that could be a fun thing to do as a family project). Those are just some ideas that are relatively low cost, easy and entirely reversible.

Old 11-24-17, 02:27 PM
S
Thanks everyone.

What do you think of these white subway type tiles in the pictures I attached? I went to both home depot and lowes today and they had basically nothing. I was really surprised. We may need to order a bunch of different tiles online and see how they look that way. Or maybe I just need to find a tile store in town.

Now that we have the white tile sample we are thinking maybe a subtle brown or cream or even light gray or something like handymen posted.

Let me know what you think of the white tile sample. Totally agree with the stools going as well. They worked well in our previous home but not here. We spent years getting every piece of furniture that works with the home and its tough starting over, but a bit fun too! We are going to change out the three handing lights and other small things. I would hate to paint the cabinets and make them worse.

Attached Images    
Old 11-24-17, 03:11 PM
A
I really like the look of white subway tiles. They are a bit simpler than what you have now and and brighten it up nicely. Use a medium grey grout to make the simple lines pop.

Another comment... a few years ago we replaced the floor in our kitchen with dark brown flooring. Wish we hadn't. The dark color shows every speck of whatever falls on the floor. If you want to change the color of your floor, go for it, just be aware a dark color may show more stuff.

Nice looking kitchen!

Old 11-24-17, 03:16 PM
I like subway tile, although a little bit wider. I would suggest you shop at a professional tile store, not a big box store where there is very little help.
Do you know that you have about a $35K kitchen minimum including appliances? It could be higher, maybe 45K.
You should really work with what you have. I would do nothing but change the splash.

Old 11-24-17, 03:45 PM
S
Received 26 Votes on 18 Posts
I like the subway tile, but not the white. It looks a little out of place. Like you said, perhaps a light gray. Or something tan, but definitely lighter than the existing beige. Almost as if you could pick out some of the lightest tones in the granite, and then lighten them up a bit more. I do like the mosaic Handyone posted, but not with that granite. It would feel a little too busy for my taste.

Old 11-24-17, 04:57 PM
A
Another thought after looking at the pictures of your kitchen... You might consider replacing a couple of your upper cabinet doors with glass and install lights inside. We recently remodeled our kitchen and have two cabs with glass doors and really like the look - a dramatic change from what we had before.

You might be able to remove the wood panel in a cab door frame and replace it with glass, or try to find glass doors from the same manufacturer.

Old 11-24-17, 07:45 PM
Glass doors is a great idea. Around here a typical glass shop will charge about 80 to 100 per door. You will need to rout out the existing panel yourself or have it done by a cabinet shop. I think the price would be worth it.

You only need a few glass doors to accent. A lot of customers like waterfall glass.

Old 11-25-17, 03:53 AM
Glass doors is a good idea. We did that (just two of them) and it gives an open look to the kitchen.
The only thing I disagree about is using the mosaic tile. Right now it's in vogue, but soon it will look as "yesterday" as the 1950's. Personally I like the lager 6 x6 or 9 x 9 tiles for the back splash. A plain color with perhaps a few patterned tiles randomly placed.

Old 11-28-17, 01:18 PM
S
Love the glass door idea. We had two of those at our old place. I have been looking all over and can't find out what brand of cabinets these are. We have we two dishwashers but no microwave. We would like to remove one and put a built-in microwave. But I need to find out where to get matching wood. Then we can ask about the glass as well. great idea!

Old 11-28-17, 02:25 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 314 Votes on 279 Posts
Have you pulled out a drawer or 2 and looked at the back/bottom for a label? You could always get a cabinet shop to match the trim/stain. A good painter or paint store tech can also match the stain/finish.

Old 12-03-17, 06:58 AM
A
Have you considered keeping the backsplash and re-glazing the tile in a suitable color. You could mask off the small tiles and keep them as a feature color to the new background. Re-glazing is a relatively inexpensive way of changing the look. Remember whatever tile you chose it will always be in and out of style over time. The same applies to cabinets. However for a design change a professional cabinet refacing company can either change out the doors and drawer fronts or overlay a laminate finish, which will give the appearance of brand new cabinets. Complete kitchen remodel is expensive and you have to balance the cost against the end result and your ultimate satisfaction. Much of that depends on the purpose for the remodel in the first place. If you intend to stay in the house for over 5 years perhaps a complete re-do is worth it. If you intend to sell in the near future I would stay with what you have but maybe clean up the cabinet fronts with a Refinishing product.

Also, the undercabinet lighting appears yellow in your pics. You might consider changing that out for a whiter or even a subtle color for a dramatic appearance.

Last edited by Andy Mann; 12-03-17 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Additional information