Mixing interior wall paint with interior wood paint??

Old 12-11-17, 11:09 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Mixing interior wall paint with interior wood paint??

I am a non-professional decorating my bedroom. I bought a litre/quarter-ish gallon of paint for the wood trimmings in my room but I regret choosing that shade. I don't fancy paying for another tin and wasting the one I bought, especially since this is my parents' house and they don't like clutter, so I've considered purchasing three 30ml (1 fl/oz, totalling 3 fluid ounces) samples of interior wall paint of a shade that will give me something much closer to my desired colour. I've not been able to find small quantities of interior wood paint. 90ml of wall emulsion is less than a tenth of the 1000ml of wood paint that I have.

Would anyone be able to tell me if mixing the two would make the ending result look sh*t, or not even mix properly or something? Would it go wrong? If so, is there any alternative option e.g. perhaps there are brands I don't know about that sell samples of interior wood paint.

Old 12-11-17, 11:43 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Assuming we're talking about all paints being latex then yes you can mix.

The problem is that if you are just mixing tinted paints your probably going to get something that is not close to what you are looking for.

2 options

1) take the tinted paint you have and let the paint store compare the receipt of your paint vs whet you want and maybe they can give you the additional tint. If going darker it may work, if going lighter forget it.

2) for the price of a quart of paint just get what you want, after screwing around with paint or tints it's probably the easiest option.

Old 12-11-17, 01:02 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I mix leftover paints all the time, as long as it's all latex and mixed well there isn't any issue ..... unless you run out. Often those sample cans of paint is of an inferior grade and won't wear well. As Marq stated above your best bet is to either have the paint store add more tint [if that will get the desired color] or buy a new quart tinted in the correct color.

Habit for Humanity and others will usually accept full [or nearly full] paint donations.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: