How can I create this lacquer/gloss cabinet finish?

Old 01-22-18, 02:56 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How can I create this lacquer/gloss cabinet finish?

I'm wondering if anyone knows how I can create this kind of lacquer/gloss finish on my kitchen cabinets:

Currently they are a wood laminate. I would like to paint them white with a similar finish to the picture above. I have access to an automotive spray gun which I would like to use to get a very smooth finish. I've tested on a couple cabinet doors white just a glossy white and while it came out very smooth, it's not as glossy/mirror like as the photo.

Could this be accomplished with some kind of polyurethane coating or epoxy coating?

I'm not expecting a professional finish, just something relatively close to the photo above.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-18, 03:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 665 Votes on 615 Posts
Don't think so. That's a "high gloss acrylic/foil" finish. Its like a laminate... its not a polyurethane.

Old 01-22-18, 03:28 PM
J
I figured that but isn't there a way to get a similar finish using some other product? I don't mind if it takes a lot of work.

Old 01-22-18, 03:43 PM
Wow, that is shiny, a mirror finish and I have never seen this is a kitchen.
I have no experience in this but it looks like you would have to paint the doors like a classic car and buff it. It would take many coats of lacquer and could get very expensive.

There is a process called a French Rub, but that is usually only for the best of furniture and requires many coats of rubbed in shellac.
It's very labor intensive and will take months but will create a mirror finish.

I would look at just buying new prefinished doors and drawer fronts.

Old 01-22-18, 03:56 PM
J
It seems like it's becoming quite common. Even Ikea is now selling some of these super high gloss cabinets:

Old 01-23-18, 03:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 312 Votes on 278 Posts
I like the suggestion for new doors/fronts. Keep in mind that any finish with that much shine will show any defect that is in either the wood or previous finish.

Old 01-23-18, 04:13 AM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
I have to comment.
I just saw a Facebook video that is an epoxy type coating that will give you what you want. It's for making your own counter tops. Sorry I can't think of the name and I'm unable to find it again. But you roll on a white preparation coating, in the video they added a black syrup type coloring in a string like random pattern. Then they roll this into the white prep material. The effect is a marbleized look (like stone granite or marble). The point being is that it has a very high gloss to it.