stripping and staining bed frame

Old 03-11-18, 02:50 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
stripping and staining bed frame

Dear all, I bought this massive king size bed frame. It's great but, it's the wrong color (needs to be stripped and stained) and has some cracks - see the pictures.
I was wondering if anybody can advise me on how to appropriately
1. strip the current paint - the frame is uneven, difficult to sand maybe
2. finish the cracks.
3. pick the right stain and evenly stain it (it needs to match the other current furniture in the room)

Attached Images   
Old 03-12-18, 02:45 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

That won't be an easy job and the intricate areas will be tedious! especially the molding near the top of the headboard.
It's next to impossible to strip off the old finish by just sanding - you'll need to use a chemical stripper.
What color does it need to be?

Old 03-12-18, 07:13 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
This is going to be a long, tedious project. Not trying to discourage you, just want you to know into what you're getting.

Old 03-12-18, 07:20 AM
J
thank you for your response. I am willing to try. What chemical strippers would you recommend? What generic suggestions for a first time stripping procedure would you have?

the color of the rest of the furniture is reddish, I will attach pictures later on

Old 03-12-18, 07:44 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Personally, I like MEK but that stuff is nasty - use it outside and stand upwind at all times. There are citrus based strippers out there that work well and aren't anywhere near as toxic to humans.

Old 03-12-18, 09:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not fond of the citrus based strippers although they do work well on latex paint. I suspect a stronger stripper is needed to remove that finish. I don't use strippers a lot so when the need arises I generally ask the rep at the paint store which product will be best for the job at hand.

Old 03-12-18, 06:40 PM
O
I used a Soy Stripper called Blue Bear to remove an epoxy from a bath. I've read other painters having success with removing other coatings.

They are absolutely correct in the amount of work needed to strip all the details. But at least with the Blue Bear it is safe to use inside. Don't use chemical stripper inside.

Are you wanting to go a darker stain? You could look into "toning". Instead of sanding/ stripping you give a light to decent sand and go over the old finish with a polyurethane with a dye in it. And you can poly over multiple coats to get it as dark as you wish.

I would recommend mixing your own poly and dye and not use Polyshades or Varathane's Stain & Poly. Hard to get great results with those. Just an option to consider, it's easier work than stripping/ sanding but still considerable work. At the end of the day the finished product would look better if stripped completely, it's just the crazy work it would take.

Old 03-13-18, 03:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I would recommend mixing your own poly and dye and not use Polyshades or Varathane's Stain & Poly. Hard to get great results with those.
Actually it's tint, not a dye. When custom tinting my own poly/varnish I'll mix in a small amount of paint [same type of base] to tint the poly. No matter how the poly is tinted - it's not the easiest to apply! It must be applied evenly! Lap marks, drips, etc. will all be darker, thin spots lighter and it's not a coating that can be touched up. There is a limit to how much color change you can get with a tinted poly/varnish without negating the grain.

Old 03-15-18, 05:44 AM
J
This is the color (looks a little bit lighter than it is). Can anybody get me started? How do I fix the cracks in the first place?

and thank you for all yoru suggestions

Attached Images  
Old 03-15-18, 06:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Any fillers you use will show up. I like sawdust from item with a little glue. You can sand the back to get sawdust and sprinkle it in crack with a small amount of glue. Do this on a place hard to see to try.

Old 03-15-18, 07:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If that is the back side of a door I'm not sure I would bother. The 2 big drawbacks to filler is getting them to stain correctly and not show along with the chance of the filler falling out with use.

Old 03-15-18, 07:57 AM
J
It's side of the post. Those cracks look almost natural, I will not bother with them. Start stripping. There are many suggestions here on stripping

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: