Can I stain over unfinished stained wood?

Old 03-22-18, 04:35 AM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I stain over unfinished stained wood?

I just refinished a used China cabinet for my wife. I sanded, then painted it, except for the counter top. That I sanded bare and stained. Before I sealed it with polyurethane she told me she hated the stain color. Can I re-stain significantly darker without sanding off all the stain I put on. Incase it matters, I did use wood conditioner prior to putting the stain on. I stained with Sequoia Red and will be going to a cherry or darker color. I am hoping that because I did not seal it I can just apply another coat of stain. Thank for your insight.

Old 03-22-18, 05:47 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
Yes, go ahead and stain again. I would use a stain compatible with the previous. Water based if the previous stain was water based or oil based if the first was oil based.

Old 03-22-18, 09:49 AM
Received 1,052 Likes on 954 Posts
Before I sealed it with polyurethane
Check out some of the water based clear coats, I quit using urethane years ago the new finishes are excellent. I would recommend a brand other than the Mimwax from the big box stores.

Woodcraft carry's a line, I believe it's called General Finish (something like that), and it's really good!

Old 03-22-18, 01:20 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
I'd sand the wood first. The first coat of stain more/less sealed the wood so it won't take the new stain as readily.

Old 03-22-18, 01:24 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Likes on 1,140 Posts
I'm with Mark. Additionally, I would question the conditioner since you intend to go darker, as conditioner limits how much stain can be absorbed and, therefore, how dark you can get it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: