Stairway painting below the banisters

Old 03-31-18, 07:23 AM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Stairway painting below the banisters

Hello again,

I'm hoping someone more creative than me can help me figure ito some options with a painting project.

The interior of the townhouse I'm living in is all painted with builder's quality flat white paint. We're slowly working on painting a room at a time but have noticed the staircase is in the worst shape, mainly below the banisters/hand rails. It looks like people have successfully painted just below that level a different color when the staircase runs up a single wall and they can put a piece of trim up in between the two colors (we're fine leaving the bulk of the area white). I'm not sure how adding a piece of trim (presumably painted semi gloss it gloss white) would look because of the wooden hand rails on the wall.

We were thinking a grey color probably if there is some way to pull this off.

Does anyone have any thoughts? We would love to avoid dinking around with ladders on staircases if possible 🙄

I'm working on getting a picture here but can't seem to figure out how to upload it from my phone...

Edit: perhaps this link will work to 3 pictures of the staircase... https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZyxPZf1mrlOK4si62

Old 03-31-18, 08:39 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Not sure I entirely follow, do you intend to use molding and paint it and below something like wainscotting?
IMO it's not that big of a deal to use a short extension ladder in your stairwell. They also brush holders that clamp onto the paint brush handle and screw onto a roller pole.

Old 03-31-18, 01:37 PM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I would like to paint below the nonexistent molding and then add molding, I'm just not sure if it's going to look silly if I run my molding to a hand rail.

Old 03-31-18, 02:45 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
IMO you'd have to work it out where it would look like a faux wainscotting. Probably would look best if it was a little bit above the hand rail.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: