Rustoleum tub and tile

Old 05-12-18, 01:18 PM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rustoleum tub and tile

This kit I received has bright bright white paint. Since the magic of this kit is mainly in the epoxy additive. Can I add some color to tone down the white? I know not to change the volume of the paint, to keep the ratio correct. If I can add a color to tone it down, what kind of paint would I have to use? Enamel? Thanks for your forum and your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-18, 01:39 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
We are not big on the use of self tub refinishers. Most people do not do enough preparation to the tub to support good adhesion and the paint fails in do time and peels in big chunks. I have always had my customers tubs professionally reglazed.

The professional reglaze first acid etches the tub after insuring all soap scum is removed. He then primes the surface before finally adding a final coat. He also rolls on some anti-slip texture to the bottom of the tub. Costs several hundred dollars, but comes with a guaranty.

I would defer to the manufacturer of your kit as to what additives are compatible with your product. Should be an 800 number somewhere on the box or a website you can visit.

Old 05-12-18, 03:43 PM
H
Thanks but when you live n the sticks of west va. You don't have tub reglaziers living on every corner.

Old 05-12-18, 03:45 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 619 Votes on 572 Posts
I have never tinted tub glazing epoxy but I have tinted epoxy glues and resins with good result. I get the tint from boat repair/fiberglass suppliers.

Old 05-12-18, 03:51 PM
H
I will
I would like to say this about preparation, I have done all I could do, to remove the shines top coat of this tub. I have used my palm sander with 60 grit paper and it just dances across the surface. I would swear instead of sanding this thing I am just putting a better shine on it. Some places have yielded but the face of tub where you get in is like glass. Muratic acid I know would not penetrate the enamel.

Old 05-12-18, 04:13 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
My reglazer uses some sort of acid that is designed for this purpose, you paint it on, wait one hour and then rinse with water. It completely removes the shine. Effortless. He let me use some so I could prep the boarders of tubs that were an odd color so he could paint them white, vs me removing the bullnose and replacing. Saved me time and saved him time. All he had to prep was the tub.

I imagine that enough google searches and or phone calls will get you the name of the acid they use.

Even if you are in the boonies, you could make some calls to see if they will make the trip. Some will, others won't. Never know unless you make some calls.

Old 05-12-18, 05:12 PM
H
Is it not acceptable to apply something like sand to the floor between coats, for footing?

Old 05-13-18, 02:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 312 Votes on 278 Posts
Paint stores sell an additive that is something like sand that you add to paint to create an anti skid surface. The problem is it always wears off on the high traffic areas. I prefer not to use it. I've never used it with an epoxy or any tub/tile paint.

Old 05-14-18, 08:36 AM
H
Well, I have finished. And Murphy's law prevailed. Applying second coat, brand new 4 inch sponge roller, slipped off. It would not stay on after that. Then seemed to start to disentigrate, pieces coming off in the tub. Roller falling off on the floor, in the tub, it was great. Had to quit with the roller and used an old bristle brush. All in all it turned out okay. Now to see how long it takes to peel off. I am having another problem that does not pertain to DIY. As I am typing these words. Believe it or not,for some reason it has stopped, maybe because I have typed a certain amount of lines of text, I don't know. But everytime I try to post here, the drop down opens up, keyboard appears. Everything looks normal, then when I start to type, the text slides up, hides it self under the strip of text above that looks like this. B I U S ". And I can't see if I am making mistakes or not. I proceed to use my stylist to pull down the text, to see it, and any mistakes, then start typing again and the text slides up, hidden again. But after so many lines of type I guess it starts to act right. Who knows. I am on my iPad, if it matters

Old 05-14-18, 08:43 AM
H
I found, great the hiding sliding text is back. Any way I found a product like a clear stencil to use for anti slip, I don't understand the 180 seconds wait between posts, but then again there is a lot I don,t understand