Blending in with old paint

Old 05-24-18, 08:32 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Blending in with old paint

Concrete block stucco house in Miami Florida and the exterior is an olive green color.

I just replaced a meter room door and had to patch a bit of the stucco around the perimeter, and now ready to paint. Some spots are fresh stucco (about 15 days old) and some spots are existing acrylic paint. I have primed with BM's Fresh Start.

When I put on the finish coat I noticed the new paint is slightly darker. It's subtle but appreciable. I then realized because of the location's south side sun exposure, the paint is now a bit lighter in color due to the sun.

What I have is at the top of the wall where it's shaded by the roof overhang, it's still darker and matching nicely. The lower portion of the wall is lighter.

I don't want to repaint the house (or the entire south side wall) right now, what is the best way to paint the exterior wall around the perimeter of the new door (which I have already primed white) and make the slightly faded color less noticeable?

Is there a way I can put on the paint, and use a wet sponge or something to blend the new paint into the old paint?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-18, 01:10 AM
Received 377 Votes on 352 Posts
The only options are to repaint the entire wall or live with some color variation to the newly repaired and touched up spots.

Old 05-25-18, 02:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
As mentioned above there isn't any way to apply the paint and make the new paint match faded paint. It is possible to doctor the paint up to make it lighter but that is beyond the scope of many pro painters much less a diyer. Even then paint doesn't always fade the same over the entire area so it might still be noticeable.