Drop cloth recommendations?

Old 05-27-18, 02:46 PM
B
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Drop cloth recommendations?

I will be painting the entire interior of my home before too much longer. What do professional painters look for in a good quality drop cloth? I have a couple canvas drop cloths that work pretty well, but I'm thinking about getting something large enough to cover an entire bedroom floor to save time moving the drop cloth around.

FYI, I'll probably buy something from Home Depot partly because I get a veteran's discount, but mostly because they are big supporters of veterans. Unless a good quality drop cloth is best purchased from someone like Sherwin Williams. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-27-18, 02:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,979 Upvotes on 1,774 Posts
IMO, unless you are painting ceilings, 4 runners are better than one big dropcloth. The big ones ate never the right size anyway and have to be folded to fit. Plus all the furniture needs to be moved to put it down.

Canvas ones are fine, but if you spill, it can sometimes soak through. Some are spill proof, they have a leak proof plastic backing.

Old 05-27-18, 03:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 71 Posts
I like the heaver plastic that you use for under house. More expensive but for one of not to bad.

Old 05-27-18, 04:40 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,327 Upvotes on 2,069 Posts
I often use old rug runners and area rugs. They lay flat and don't slip and are absorbent enough to handle big spills without the paint quickly soaking through.

Old 05-28-18, 03:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 876 Upvotes on 767 Posts
While plastic is ok for covering up furniture, I don't like it on the floor. Any paint that drips on it will be slow drying and can be picked up by your boots to be transferred somewhere else. Thin canvas drops are prone to allow wet paint that is stepped on to seep thru the drop. I do like the plastic backed canvas drop clothes. Unless plastic backed - thicker is better. I too am fond of runners when just painting the walls. I've always bought drop cloths at the paint store and don't know anything about the drops sold at a big box store.

Old 05-28-18, 03:08 AM
B
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
I have had bleed-thrus on my canvas when I got a little sloppy. I kind of like the idea of a plastic backed drop cloth. Never knew such a thing existed. How does the plastic hold up over time, with folding, bunching up, etc?

Old 05-28-18, 03:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 876 Upvotes on 767 Posts
I only have a couple of plastic backed drop cloths but they seem to have held up fine. They are heavier so it's not something I pulled out on every job. Retired now so they mostly just set in a large cabinet in my shop.

Old 05-28-18, 04:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,979 Upvotes on 1,774 Posts
Harbor freight is a good place to get plain old canvass runners, esp when they are on sale.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: