BIN shellac based primer cleanup

Old 05-29-18, 08:34 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
BIN shellac based primer cleanup

i purchased a pint of "Zinsser B-I-N Ultimate Stain Blocker Interior & Spot Exterior Primer" in September of 2016.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Zinsser-B...&wl13=&veh=sem

I have since thrown away the pint size can. At the time I purchased this product I also purchased both a quart of denatured alcohol and a quart or so of regular household ammonia. I purchased both because; either I didn't read it correctly or the cleanup instructions on the can have changed, but I thought there were instructions that said I needed to mix the two of these products together to do the cleanup.

What I would like to know is have the instructions changed or did I read them wrong.

I thought there was specific amounts of each of the denatured alcohol and the ammonia to mix together; but now it seems it is just one or the other; denatured alcohol on its own or ammonia mixed half and half with water.

Can anyone tell me if there ever was a mixture of denatured alcohol and ammonia that was instructed for cleanup of the "Zinsser B-I-N Ultimate Stain Blocker Interior & Spot Exterior Primer"?

Old 05-29-18, 10:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 770 Votes on 711 Posts
You read it wrong... either can be used for cleanup but you certainly don't mix them! The instructions have not changed.

Old 05-29-18, 10:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 357 Votes on 314 Posts
I've always used denatured alcohol to clean up shellac based coatings. I've heard of folks using ammonia instead, never heard of anyone mixing the two.

Old 05-30-18, 01:45 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ok, thanks for the information.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: