Painting french door exterior(Andersen)

Old 06-05-18, 05:52 PM
W
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painting french door exterior(Andersen)

25 year old Andersen Frenchwood patio doors have developed small cracks in exterior coating. I understand the coating is a urethane paint. Andersen says repainting is not viable as the wood, once the old coating has been compromised, will continue to have problems. I do not think this is the case if done properly. What paint and process do I use? A thorough cleaning, sanding, sealing of cracks, and then re-sanding, followed by a coat or coats of a similar paint should work. I have even considered automotive paint as the weather, toughness and flexibility are a match to what was there at the beginning. Anyone out there with input?

Old 06-05-18, 06:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,584 Likes on 1,419 Posts
I thought the exterior of the pre-1997 doors was vinyl clad.

Old 06-06-18, 03:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 703 Likes on 619 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Are the cracks in the finish or the wood? Either way they should be able to be filled and/or sanded out. Pics could be helpful - How to insert pictures.

Old 06-11-18, 10:23 AM
W
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, they are painted

Nope, made in January of '93 and they are painted, not clad. I have a single door and two doors with stationary panels. The windows at that time were all vinyl clad exteriors with welded seams and the exteriors are holding up extremely well. Any suggestions out there for paint and the painting process for the doors? Yes, sanding and/or filling is the plan, but what paint? Ideally, repaint with what was on there and go another 20 years.

Last edited by wis3crack3r; 06-11-18 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Reply to another answer as well
Old 06-11-18, 10:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 703 Likes on 619 Posts
Use either a quality oil base or latex paint ..... but I doubt anything you apply will get 20 yrs, maybe half that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: