Painting Kitchen Backsplash

Old 06-12-18, 08:24 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Painting Kitchen Backsplash

Hi All,

We want to paint our kitchen backsplash and are hoping for some recommendations and advice. We have done some reading and have a general idea of the process in general, but wondering if there is anything special we should keep in mind for our specific surface. As you can see in the pictures, the backsplash is rough-ish stone tile.

From my understanding the process should be something like 1- wash the surface to get grease/dirt/etc off, 2- tape off area as needed, 3- paint. For the painting process, is the primer/paint that we have in the picture appropriate for this project? If not, do you have any recommendations on what to use? Also, is a topcoat/sealer necessary/recommended? Any other advice on the process is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Attached Images     
Old 06-12-18, 09:49 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,716 Upvotes on 1,532 Posts
Nooooooo, don't do it. It will always look like you just painted over what was there.

But, decorating decision aside. First you must clean the snot out of the back splash. The slate and grout are porous so grease and oil can soak in and will need very thorough cleaning. If you don't clean it well enough you can end up with "fish eye" or "orange peel" spots in your paint. Especially around the stove clean until you can't clean anymore then clean it some more.

Don't use a "all in one" type product. I would at least prime with an oil based, stain blocking primer. Then you can top coat with another oil or water based paint.

Old 06-12-18, 10:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 724 Upvotes on 634 Posts
I also wouldn't recommend painting it. If I wanted to keep the stone but alter the color I'd consider using a semi-transparent stain. As noted above you need to make good and sure everything is clean before you apply any coating! Removing and installing a new back splash isn't an overly difficult or expensive job.

Old 06-12-18, 10:44 AM
Received 1,062 Upvotes on 963 Posts
Regardless of what you decide do some searching on this site regarding Behr paint, then throw the stuff away!

Old 06-14-18, 07:41 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for all the input and recommendations. We will take all of this into account and think about what we want to do. Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: