Stained Kitchen Counters- cover Polycrylic with Polyurethane?

Old 06-18-18, 09:52 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stained Kitchen Counters- cover Polycrylic with Polyurethane?

I sanded my kitchen counters, stained with a miniwax grey stain and then coated them with Polycrylic. Unfortunately, the miniwax Polycrylic is wearing off is some areas. How do I fix this? I have both a thompson's WaterSeal and a semigloss miniwax Polyurethane. Can I just sand down the small affected areas, restain and then cover everything with either the WaterSeal or the Polyurethane or the polycrylic? I am hopeful that I won't have to completely start over.
Thank you!

Old 06-18-18, 09:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Sounds like a Frankenstein combination of finishes. No do not use Thompson's waterseal! It will affect the adhesion of your finish. You should really strip it. Polyurethane does not bond to just anything... and I doubt that the 2 types are compatible unless the label says so.

You could sand lightly and coat with polyurethane nut no guarantee It will stick or last. Follow label directions.

Old 06-18-18, 02:57 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
You could try fixing this by lightly sanding around the worn areas and adding more polycrylic but this is not easy to do. Personally, I would strip it as X advised and use oil based polyurethane instead (at least 3 coats with light scuff sanding and removal of sanding dust between coats).

Old 06-18-18, 03:00 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Is it just the poly that is wearing or has it worn thru the stain also?
Oil base poly normally adheres ok over waterbased poly ..... provided there isn't a LOT of coats of the waterbased.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: