Matching Interior Paint

Old 08-31-18, 07:01 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Matching Interior Paint

I am running out of the beige touch up paint for my walls that the builder gave us when we moved in. I went to Sherman Williams with my can of paint and had them color match it. But it turns out the new paint dries a bit darker. You can only notice it in dim light. From what I've read it is very difficult to almost downright impossible to color match at the paint store. Any other suggestions? Someone suggested adding additional coat of paint but wouldn't that just amplify the color difference?

Old 08-31-18, 09:25 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Generally, paint stores are able to match paint pretty well. That said, the paint on the wall may not resemble what's in the can any longer - touching up paint can be difficult.

Old 09-01-18, 03:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
What brand of paint was used originally? it's next to impossible to touch up one brand/line of paint with another. Most paint stores are pretty good at matching paint colors but if the base is different there will be minute differences in the sheen which will prevent it from touching up well. How long ago were the walls painted? Depending on air quality and wear there comes a point when the right paint will no longer touch up.

Old 09-01-18, 04:51 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
It takes just a miniscule amount of pigment to change the color of a paint.

Also the sheen will effect the match so get the same brand, same paint.

But when painting you will have to paint the entire wall which will blend the colors into the corners and will not be noticeable!

Old 09-01-18, 12:29 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Original paint was from a company called Kwal Paint. Apparently they were bought out by Sherman-Williams and this paint type is no longer available. The home was built in 2012. I am really not looking to paint the entire wall. Could maybe mixing a bit of white with the Sherman Williams paint lighten it up?

Old 09-01-18, 12:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
This is one of those questions that is really determined by how picky you are. Any painter will tell you that you can rarely, if ever, take the EXACT SAME PAINT and use it for touch ups and not see the brush marks. As already mentioned, even if the color is exact, the sheen will likely show up as a patch when the light shines across it. To do the best job you have to repaint an entire wall, not just touch it up.

And there is pretty much no way to match a completely different paint and get it to match so close that you can use it for paint touchups. Unless you have really low standards, that is.

Old 09-01-18, 12:57 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I am really not looking to paint the entire wall.
And to put in simple terms, you will have a shippy looking wall.

Buy some decent tools, some decent paint, mask off the walls and trim and you will be a happy home owner!

Old 09-02-18, 03:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
As mentioned above touch up is iffy at best. When you have experience with a certain brand/line of paint you learn where touch ups can be done and where they are easy to spot. Many seasoned painters are good at getting colors matched but that is no guarantee the touch up won't stick out like a sore thumb! Each brand/line of paint has slightly different sheens and how it reflects light. With the possible exception of a poorly lit corner I'd never attempt to touch up one brand with another. The chances of being able to successfully touch up a 6 yr old paint job are almost nonexistent.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: