25 year exterior paint? Really?

Old 09-03-18, 01:01 PM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
25 year exterior paint? Really?

I've been hearing some local advertising for a product called Rhino Shield. They claim you "never have to paint the exterior of your home again". The website says there is a 25 year warranty.

Has anyone had any experience with this product?

Is the paint something "really" special or could i go and buy some and slap it on the house myself?

I'm sure it's expensive - again any experience?

I haven't called for their "free estimate" because i know the estimator is really a salesman and i want to be informed before i call... if i call...

I'm not affiliated with the company, just want to gain some knowledge before i pursue.

Thanks!

Old 09-03-18, 01:05 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
I hear those advertisements too, and always wonder if the warranty is dependent upon it being the only paint on a surface . . . . NOT a paint being used to re-paint something that's been painted previously.

Old 09-03-18, 01:16 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I don't know anything about that particular coating but I've been slightly involved with paint warranties for 40+ yrs. It's been my experience that paint companies will stand behind their warranty for big outfits that buy a lot of paint but for the little guy they can always come up with an excuse as to why it isn't the coating's fault.

Old 09-03-18, 01:49 PM
A
Good comments about the warranty. I'm sure there is a lot of fine print that needs to be read and understood.

Just curious if anyone has actually done this...

Old 09-03-18, 01:53 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Kind of like your 25 year warranty for roofing, if you happen to be the original owner and can prove, and if the company is still in business then maybe they will credit you 1/25 of the new. much higher cost to replace.

Didn't your parents tell you if it sounds too good to be true...

Old 09-03-18, 01:56 PM
A
"Didn't your parents tell you if it sounds too good to be true..."

Exactly! That's why i'm asking...

Old 09-03-18, 02:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
You could say the same thing about any paint company's top of the line paint.. like SW Emerald. On their end, what's the worst that can happen? If you are the same owner and if you kept your receipts for 25 years to prove you bought the paint there... they might give you another gallon of paint for your trouble. It's a marketing technique and you have to figure out if paying 2x more for the paint is really worth it.

Old 09-04-18, 05:42 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Paint life just like roofing is mainly dependent on weather conditions. Any roof (except metal), regardless of stated warranty is only good for about 20 years in normal conditions. Paint I'm betting is less likely to withstand any firm stated warranty. Marksr can be witness to that.

Old 09-04-18, 08:56 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
So there you go, lots of what if's that you can now ask about.

If it was 10% more, maybe worth the cost, double, probably not!

Old 09-05-18, 06:47 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The way it's described in the ads it *sounds* similar to the Deck Restore coating. Going to the website gives a different impression. There it's described more like a thick paint with more solids than "ordinary paint" (but they say it ISN'T paint). Plus the addition of "ceramic micro-beads". I don't see how grit in the paint will make it last longer on vertical house walls that receive no abrasion.

I think it's a combination of a thick, high quality paint that could support a 25-year warranty, plus the addition of useless junk that's supposed to make it sound special, and to justify the high price.

I certainly wouldn't want to be the next guy to have to remove that stuff in preparation for new paint or a change of color. People DO change their house color more than once in a lifetime, don't they?

Old 09-05-18, 08:52 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Plus the addition of "ceramic micro-beads".
I have no idea of what that really does to paint but if I recall correctly a few yrs back there was a paint that claimed it had ceramic micro beads in it which gave it insulation properties. I don't know if the gov't or the marketplace stopped those paint ads.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: