Clear coat over stenciled wall with white base - Suggestions?

Old 09-21-18, 08:00 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Clear coat over stenciled wall with white base - Suggestions?

Good morning everyone
I did a search and found a few threads but none really helped so I figured I'd post my question

The interior walls of my home are a cool white with a hint of light bluish/gray (It's called Ice Cube White by Sherwin WIlliams) in a cashmere/eggshell finish

I stenciled one of the walls in the kitchen with various colors - I believe all 4 colors used are satin. I picked up the little sample bottles in the colors I needed since that was enough. (see picture attached)

Now that my long hours of blood sweat and tears are complete, I need a way to seal it and protect it
I picked up water-based satin finish polyurethane and I want to make sure that is the best choice
I don't want yellowing, streaks, etc

I've been reading about Polycrylic yellowing over white but I don't know it that's over painted wood or all painted surfaces
I've also read about archival varnishes but I don't know much about those.

Any suggestions are appreciated
Thanks in advance!
Carla

Attached Images  
Old 09-21-18, 09:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I rarely use Polycrylic or any other waterbased poly/varnish but it shouldn't yellow. Oil base polys/varnish do! Wouldn't hurt to apply a sample over a white wall to make sure.

Old 09-21-18, 11:51 AM
Thanks. Thats what I intend to do tonight - I just finished it this morning.
I understand oil based yellows overtime and water based do not. Just wanting to make sure this lasts because if something happens to it, it's getting white allllll over it! LOLOL

Old 09-21-18, 11:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Oil base poly will give whites a yellow tint as soon as it's applied and will amber more as it ages. I don't think you'll have any yellowing problems with polycrylic. It doesn't wear as well as the oil base does but it's not like you'll be walking on the wall.

almost forgot welcome to the forums Carla!

Old 09-21-18, 12:06 PM
Ahhh you noticed I'm a newbie LOLOL
I'll be here a lot - just bought a house a couple of months and am chin deep in renovation projects LOL

Thanks again! ;-)

Old 09-21-18, 05:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
IMO you don't want to use a polyurethane or even polycrylic. You want a transparent faux "glaze".

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: