Tacky Cabinets

Old 10-28-18, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tacky Cabinets

I am painting my cabinets with a latex paint (in my budget). I have done all the proper prep, using a HomeRight Finish Max sprayer and sponge brush on the edges. The pant is coming out great.
I am concerned that when I re-install the cabinet doors, the two freshly painted surfaces will stick. Even after a week of drying, if I lean one of the doors against another surface it seems to stick. The paint does not feel sticky to the touch.
Any tricks to prevent stuck doors?

Old 10-28-18, 12:31 PM
Received 625 Likes on 555 Posts
Until or if it dries to a hard surface (humidity might cause it to take a long time) you might consider using those small round self stick bumpers on each surface.

Old 10-28-18, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the reply Norm. I had considered something like that. I will look for them online thanks.

Old 10-29-18, 04:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 703 Likes on 619 Posts
Were these cabinets previously painted? what prep was done?
Latex enamels take longer to cure, some of the cheaper brands take a really long time. How long has it been since you applied the last coat of latex enamel?

Old 11-02-18, 05:07 PM
The paint is a cheaper. Glidden.
The last coat was a week ago and the cabinets were longer. I only have one day to do work on the house. The doors still seem to stick to the surface that I have leaned them against. I move them daily to prevent to much stick. This is just one painted door and one piece of cardboard. I imagine that the painted door and the painted cabinet would really stick together.
I sanded the "shine" off my previously stained and lacquered (15 years ago) cabinets and doors and cleaned with degreaser and wiped with a tack cloth. Degreaser first, then sanded, then wiped off.

Old 11-02-18, 05:49 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,179 Likes on 1,137 Posts
I understand budget but you might be done already if you'd use higher quality paint. Just something to keep in mind for your next painting project.

Old 11-03-18, 04:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you use a primer between the 'lacquer' and the Glidden enamel? if so, which primer?

Old 11-03-18, 09:43 AM
No primer. The paint base I used is a combo.
I am beginning to regret using a cheaper paint, but unfortunately my fiancee will squeeze a nickle until the buffalo cries.. It becomes an chore convincing her to buy a more expensive paint. She can't see past the price. I am a firm believer in "you get what you pay for".
I think I will install the doors and place a small piece of wax paper or something else for a month or so until I am confidant they won't stick anymore.
Would a heat gun help cure the paint?

Old 11-03-18, 12:59 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I doubt a heat gun will help and too much heat will make the paint bubble up and come off [heat guns can be used in paint removal]

The primer in the paint is just a marketing ploy as most repaints don't need a primer. Without using a dedicated primer it's likely the paint will chip, maybe peel.

Old 11-03-18, 05:58 PM
That sucks. Well, I am just going to punt, I notices that the hinges I ordered came with small rubber bumpers that will keep paint to paint contact, I will just touch up the surfaces if they chip or peel. Next time I paint I will use a better product.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: