paint for airless sprayer

Old 02-14-19, 12:07 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
paint for airless sprayer

I just bought a graco x5 airless paint sprayer. I wanted to know if it matters what brand of paint I use when I spray my walls? I play to use a primer first, as i am going from dark walls to light walls. Then spray light gray as my finished color. My plans are to use flat killz on everything and then either eggshell, stain or semi gloss as the finish coat. Any recommendations on brand or sheen of paint to give the best finished product would be great. Also, I have never used a spray gun before, i have been told it will not leave a true flat smooth surface and that I should have someone roll the walls as I spray them? Any truth to this?

Old 02-14-19, 02:11 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
First, I would recommend buying your paints at a paint store and not a paint department. Second, unless the house is unoccupied and unfinished, I would not spray the paint, as the masking process takes up more time than just painting with a brush and roller.

Old 02-14-19, 02:29 AM
R
The house is empty and the carpet and other floors will be replaced after painting so other than windows and fans/lights i will not have to mask anything else.

That is why i will be going with a airless sprayer. I figured in my situation it would be quicker and time is very important. As far as a paint store is one better than others? I dont know a lot about paints and need some help picking a good paint that will spray good as well.

Old 02-14-19, 02:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Big box paint depts tend to stock their coatings based on low price rather than quality. While many folks have their favorites, most dedicated paint stores sell quality paint BUT you need to get their mid line or better as they also sell low quality paint. There are better primers out there than Kilz [especially latex kilz] although depending on the walls, previously painted walls usually don't require a primer.

There are 2 reasons for back rolling sprayed on paint; it works the paint into the substrate and gives a more even finish along with rolled paint being easier to touch up than sprayed only paint. There is a bit of a learning curve using a spray gun. Overspray can/will go a long ways.

Old 02-14-19, 08:17 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Have you seen walls that were sprayed?

They tend to look really bad since they do not have (as well as the primer) any texture and show every minute defect.

When they do spray they typ back roll to add the texture.

If you have a crew and are doing massive amounts of wall where someone is spraying and guys are back rolling it might be efficient but for a single house I think simply rolling is faster!

Old 02-14-19, 10:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I've sprayed and back rolled by myself - it is a chore! much easier with a helper. While I've never thought twice about spraying new construction, once the cabinets and electrical are installed I think it's easier/quicker to cut and roll.

almost forgot the brand of paint doesn't normally make any difference to the spray pump although there are some brands that benefit from straining first. Many brands/lines of paint have small differences in how they spray - it's a learning process.

Old 02-18-19, 08:48 PM
R
thank you to everyone. i will spray and back roll. I have someone who can help so one of us will spray and the other back roll.

As far as a primer, i planned to use killz latex but I see someone said there is better, can someone please let me know what is better? I am only doing a primer coat because the walls are very dark right now and I am going to a light color.

Old 02-19-19, 02:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Zinnser makes some of the best primers, they have different ones tailored for different jobs. Their Bullseye 123 would be a good choice. Paint stores [not a paint dept] also have decent primers in their brands.

Old 02-19-19, 08:32 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Kilz latex is about the last primer I would ever use. I'm a Zinsser fan as well.

Old 02-21-19, 03:27 AM
R
thanks once again, i will check the bullseye 123out

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: