Painting spackle leaves smooth texture

Old 03-28-19, 03:29 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Painting spackle leaves smooth texture

I am having a bathroom renovated and you can see a different texture on the wall vs. the area that was spackled. The paint on the spackle is smooth whereas the paint on the wall is textured as expected from the roller. The painter told my PM that this is normal and cannot be fixed without a skim coat. That doesn't make sense to me. The spackle takes primer/additional coats but should ultimately have the same texture. Correct?

I've attached a few pics for reference. It's a bit hard to see but it does show the difference.

Attached Images     
Old 03-28-19, 03:52 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
If texture is just roller stipple, then multiple coats might get closer to a match. If the wall is actually textured, then that needs to be applied over the repair as well.

Old 03-28-19, 04:03 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Was the wall primed before painting? I have seen a difference in texture when there was no primer. Using a primer seals the differing materials (paper and mud) and provides a more uniform base for the top coat. Since your wall is already painted I would apply another coat.

Who is your PM? I've never heard PM used that way.

Old 03-28-19, 05:34 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
The paint on the spackle is smooth whereas the paint on the wall is textured
Simple solution, if walls are repaired and they do not get at least 2 coats of a decent PVA primer (using a roller) they will look as flat.

The primer is needed to blend in the texture, the perfect flat of the patch will stand out like a sore thumb!

Old 03-28-19, 07:48 PM
S
PM = project manager.

Yes, primary was used but not sure if it was just used for the newly spackled areas and multiple coats and using the same roller. Should multiple coats be added at this point?

Old 03-28-19, 08:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
They make texture in a spray can. Any painter who has half a brain would know that, so unless he is just trying to pull a fast one on you, small areas can easily be hidden with a little spray texture, primer and paint.

If these are large areas, he should know that you need to spray the texture with a hopper and a gun. That's how texture is applied... different than the texture you get from just the nap of the roller. Typically this is the drywaller's job, not the painters.

Old 03-28-19, 08:31 PM
S
This is normal practice after apply spackle for wall correction? To apply texture via spray can to the smooth sanded spackle?

Old 03-28-19, 08:40 PM
Group Moderator
If you have a textured wall that gets repaired, yes, it should be a no brainer. Anyone that says otherwise is either a slum lord or they are blowing smoke.

The spray can is for very limited repairs. Anything large requires a hopper sprayer.

Cant tell much of anything from your pics, the first one is best and even it is fuzzy.

Old 03-28-19, 08:52 PM
S
To be clear, the wall isn't textured, it is just typical dry wall but has a textured feel due to the roller nap. That's not the case for the spackled wall. Not knowing that much, I'd guess the paint absorbed into the spackle and additional coats (or textured spray) is necessary. I am hoping to load up the roller to get that same texture on the original dry wall. I hope I am making sense.

Old 03-28-19, 08:57 PM
Group Moderator
Then your first picture is pretty misleading... that sure looks like texture, not nap. Chalk it up to poor lighting I guess.

Old 03-28-19, 09:07 PM
S
Or, I suck at photos. Basic drywall with the typical roller nap texture vs. the smooth/flat texture from the smooth spackle. Completely stands out. I am thinking just a load up roller and I am golden.

Old 03-29-19, 12:09 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Only took me 20 some years to solve this problem. In the case of cracks and such all you need to do is apply a DAP product available at the big boxes. It is an elastomeric caulk that comes in two forms. Smooth and textured,
You want to use the textured which actually has fiber in it to give is texture. One application and the crack disapears and it is all but impossible to locate the repair. That is after at least one coat of finish paint.

Old 03-29-19, 02:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Your painter is either ignorant or lazy. I generally thin down some joint compound and roll it over the repairs to mimic multiple coats of rolled on paint. Rolling on more paint will help although it might take several coats.

Old 03-29-19, 06:02 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I am hoping to load up the roller to get that same texture on the original dry wall.
Yes, Yes, Yes, If we are talking conventional painted drywall and not a textured/knockdown surface then somehow you need to mimic that texture.

I use a long nap roller to cover the patched area blending into the surrounding area, 2 or 3 coats seems to work for me, if it's extreme then the thinned mud could be an option.

Old 04-02-19, 07:01 AM
S
Multiple coats later and it is much closer in appearance. Not perfect but better.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: