Re-sealing stained window

Old 09-27-19, 05:42 AM
D
Received 34 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Re-sealing stained window

I have wood windows that are stained, not painted. Over the years, high humidity in the house has caused condensation to form on the windows during winter. The moisture has started to damage the finish on the wood right where it meets the glass.

I want to sand the inset area where the wood meets the glass, restain to match and then put a protective coat of poly on the restained area. Is there a particular product I should use for the protective sealer? I'm thinking an oil-based coating might hold up better to the inevitable moisture it will be exposed to? Not really worried about matching the finish on the rest of the window because the area is so small.

Old 09-27-19, 05:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
You should lightly sand with med-fine sandpaper (150-180) and then restain if desired. After waiting for the stain to dry (whatever the can says) apply your finish.

No finish is going to hold up very long when the wood is getting wet. You are only finishing the top of the wood and when the glass gets wet, it's soaking up water from the side of the wood facing the glass which is a raw edge. So you just can't win.

I would probably brush on a couple coats of Zinsser Seal Coat, scuff between coats with a green Scotchbrite pad, then one or two coats of whatever finish you like.

It's a good question whether or not water based products or oil based products will be better. I don't think either are vapor permeable once they are dry, and that is what causes blistering of a finish... water trying to escape, which affects adhesion. So I don't think one is really better than another.

Old 09-27-19, 06:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I agree. It's a good idea to recoat the pertinent areas of the sash and maybe the stool every 4-5 yrs. That helps the poly hold up better. Between sunlight and condensation the finish on those areas won't hold up as long as it will on the rest of the woodwork.

Old 09-27-19, 05:24 PM
D
Received 34 Upvotes on 31 Posts
So the Zinsser Seal Coat goes on after the stain and before the poly? Never used it before but I'm up for trying it out. I know it's a losing battle but the windows are 30 years old and probably never re-coated so anything will help. I'm also going to run a dehumidifier this winter to try to get the humidity down a bit, but with everyone's bedroom door closed at night it might be a challenge (heat is hot water baseboard so there's no air blowing in winter.)

Thanks!

Old 09-27-19, 05:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Yes thats correct. The dehumidifier is a good call.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: