Paint Patch has no shine

Old 10-27-19, 10:37 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Paint Patch has no shine

Hello,

The paint patches I recently did last week are very matte. The Eggshell finish does not work on the small 6x6" patch. Just a matte finish with the same can of paint.
Everything I have read is how to avoid shinny patches due to no primmer.
This is the opposite. The paint, which is a year old, seems to not have any shine at all to it.
I went out on a limb today and added water to it? Used primmer and it is still drying. See what happens?
Anyone have any tips on how to paint a patch and get the Egg Shell shine back? My patches are all matte finish now?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-19, 02:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 280 Posts
One coat of eggshell/satin over an unprimed patch will suck the gloss out of the paint. Another coat will generally be the fix. How old is the paint? was it stirred up well?

Old 10-28-19, 02:22 AM
Received 367 Votes on 342 Posts
How many coats of primer did you put on the patch?

For a successful repair you need two coats of good primer using a small roller feathering the material out onto the existing paint.

This will give the wall the original texture which may be part of the problem.

Also for a patch that size you may just have to paint the entire wall to resolve.

Adding water will do nothing good to the paint!

Old 10-28-19, 11:50 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
OK, this helps thanks. The paint is a year old, it stirs well, I suppose? I used a small amount of paint, used a small roller, the texture is perfect, the paint is just matte. I will try again using two coats of primmer? See if that helps?
I tried another patch, with a diff color on a diff wall. I used two coats of primmer, the shine seems to work there now. The color is slightly lighter though. So I think I will hit it again to see if that helps. I think I got this now. Thanks.

Old 10-29-19, 02:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 280 Posts
At this point I don't know that primer over the eggshell will help much, I'd just apply another coat of eggshell. The older a paint job is the harder it is to get the touch up paint to blend.