Wood stain transparency and application

Old 11-05-19, 07:26 AM
M
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Wood stain transparency and application

We are considering the stain to use for a wood deck, and we pinned down a color, but unsure whether we should go with solid, semi transparent or transparent. I asked my wife to stop at a Home Depot to get a sample of each to try. I meant those small pint size ones.

She bought a full gallon of each.

After trying it we decided on the semi transparent one. I figured we need about 4 gallons with two coats. Do we buy what we need and throw away the two gallons of solid & transparent?

Can I mix the solid and transparent stain to create two gallons of semi-transparent to use? My hunch is no but I figured I will ask anyways.

I was planning on putting up the deck then stain them at the end. However, there is a gap between the 5-1/2X1-1/4 PT deck boards about the diameter of a pencil, and I figured it will be difficult to get to afterwards. Should I pre-stain each board's edges before installation? What about the bottom side would it help with termites and rot in any way?

Problem with pre-staining is time. Once I get the lumber delivered if I don't use them immediately they will warp and bow being PT. If I take time to stain each piece it will be a few days extra before installation. But then again I am not sure I can stain them immediately if it comes super wet.

Old 11-05-19, 07:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
You shouldn't stain brand new pt wood. It is too wet.

Old 11-05-19, 08:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I agree, the wood needs to be dry from the PT process before you can apply a lasting stain job.

IF all the bases are the same [all oil or all latex] you can intermix the different stains. Just make sure you have enough as it's not an exact science - the translucent and solid that is mixed together won't be exact to the semi-transparent.

Old 11-05-19, 09:06 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
And dont use anything from HD once you do stain, get something that will last, Sikens is highly recommended!

And I would highly encourage you to consider composite and make your life simple and care free without all the future maintenance and staining you get with PT decks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: