How to prepare these walls for painting?

Old 09-17-22, 08:55 AM
C
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
How to prepare these walls for painting?

We have a bathroom remediation project: the walls had been papered with a highly textured wallpaper that attracted dirt. The wallpaper has been removed and we're left with outer surfaces of sheetrock half pulled off, leaving that highly fibrous "torn paper bag" surface. In photo 2 at the ceiling above the towel bar, the lighter blotchy area, i'm told, is wall paper glue. Below the towel bar is a plastery surface that looks like it has been skimmed.

What are the steps for painting? I know we need to get to a smooth surface but I'm not quite sure how, or what steps, or if we have workable shortcuts. For instance once we get to smooth, prime with Kilz or similar for mold prevention? If we need to apply a skim coat, do we prime before the skim coat, or both before and after?

A clue for the clueless, please- thanks for your help!

Old 09-17-22, 09:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 698 Likes on 616 Posts
You need to apply either Zinnser's Gardz or an oil base primer over the torn drywall. That will prevent the water in latex paint or joint compound from softening the gypsum and/or making the remaining paper bubble. After the drywall work is done it doesn't matter what type of primer you use.

Old 09-17-22, 10:52 AM
M
Received 238 Likes on 215 Posts
Probably easier to install new gyprock or green board.

Best to rip the old stuff out cutting it at the center of the studs if possible.

Old 09-18-22, 06:57 AM
C
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Thanks for your replies!

Old 09-18-22, 12:29 PM
Received 995 Likes on 904 Posts
Skim coats.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: