Painting paneling

Old 04-17-23, 01:22 PM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Painting paneling

In process of selling house. We have paneling on one side of staircase going up to 2nd floor. Same paneling extends up to ceiling on 2nd floor AND down into family room below stairs. Open stairway is only a 1/2 from paneling on one side which would make it very difficult to replace with drywall (mud/ tape/sanding etc.) Thinking about simply painting the paneling. Suggestions on type of paint appreciated. Also, any general

thoughts about the painting-only aspect?

Old 04-17-23, 03:21 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,186 Upvotes on 1,956 Posts
I would do a primer and then top coat. I would start with an oil based stain blocking primer. I like Zinsser better than Kilz but they both work. The oil based version is better at stain blocking than water based. Then top coat with the latex of your choice.

If your paneling has a real wood veneer you could get away with a traditional primer or a water based version but there is a risk of something bleeding through so I just start with oil based stain blocking. If your paneling is one of the types with a printed plastic/vinyl face then oil based primer is almost required.

Old 04-17-23, 06:37 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,267 Upvotes on 1,207 Posts
Why does it need to be painted? I'd be more likely to buy as-is than if you painted it.

Old 04-18-23, 02:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 840 Upvotes on 737 Posts
A good primer is more important for adhesion than stopping any bleed thru. Finished paneling isn't prone to bleed thru primer or paint. I'd want an eggshell or satin latex enamel for the finish as it won't get dirty as easy as flat and is more washable. 1 coat primer and 2 coats finish is the norm when painting paneling.

I agree with SS - why paint it? Seems like a lot of work with no real benefit.

Old 04-19-23, 07:07 AM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Replies much appreciated, especially the "why paint it" comments. Always had 2nd thoughts about painting. The 2 story aspect would be a challenge for sure, even for painting. Time and $$$ better spent on other updates to get the house ready to show. Thanks everyone.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: