Where to get a small amount of paint?

Old 04-22-23, 08:45 AM
G
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Where to get a small amount of paint?

I need to paint a chipped area on my door that is size of a penny.

What is the least amount of pre-mixed paint I can buy and from what store (or type of store e.g. paint store, hardware store), assuming I can find a premixed paint close enough in color.

Otherwise, what is the least amount of color matched paint I can buy and from what store, near seattle?

Old 04-22-23, 08:49 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,117 Upvotes on 1,896 Posts
Many major paint companies offer pint size samples you can purchase. Anything smaller and I think you are mixing your own with hobby/art paints.

Old 04-22-23, 09:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,900 Upvotes on 1,706 Posts
Depends on if you know the color (brand and color name or recipe from an old can) or if you need to get it matched.

I once needed to match some old discontinued Colony paint and was able to order 4 oz samples from a company that could still mix it. But I knew the brand and color name, which makes all the difference.

The least amount I can get from SW is a quart.

Old 04-22-23, 09:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 824 Upvotes on 722 Posts
ya, a quart is the smallest you're apt to find in paint that can be mixed. Usually some standard colors can be had in pints.

Do you know what the doors were painted with? IF you just paint the chip [think artist brush or Q-tip] you can get by with a touch up, otherwise the odds are you should repaint that side of the door.

Old 04-22-23, 09:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,900 Upvotes on 1,706 Posts
The service I used was called myperfectcolor... not going to link to it since you can Google it if you're interested. But they mailed me 2 different 4 oz samples for less than I could buy one quart at SW. And they matched great.

But like I said, I knew the color I wanted.

Old 04-22-23, 12:42 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
Keep in mind that paint formulas do not always divide evenly and what comes in a quart or other 'smaller than a gallon' container might not be the exact same color. Even with the right color, touching up can be difficult as well due to paint aging differently on the surface than in the can.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: