What Filler to Use To Smooth Surface Before Paint

Old 08-20-23, 12:03 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What Filler to Use To Smooth Surface Before Paint

Hi folks.

I'm repainting my five front porch posts that have many old coats of paint. I'm using paint stripper for some of the work and scraping others.

My question is, what can I use to fill the imperfections and square up the corners before painting? Something stronger than joint compound, but not as heavy duty as Bondo or similar.

Thanks

Old 08-20-23, 03:31 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
You have captured the two go to productes, joint compound for simple leveling up to Bondo for deep heavy filler, not aware of anything in between.

Old 08-21-23, 02:11 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 840 Upvotes on 737 Posts
I'm not fond of using fillers on the exterior as they tend to fail sooner or later. Moisture changes in the wood is the biggest culprit. I would not use joint compound as it is water soluble. They sell an exterior grade of spackling that might work for you.

If you post a pic or two of what you have we might be better able to advise on your best plan of attack.

Old 08-21-23, 02:58 AM
J
Received 50 Upvotes on 46 Posts
I've had good results on exterior wood with Abatron products. I've used it to repair rot on wooden decks and window sills. It's a two-part product (base and hardener), and expensive.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: