How do I get old paint off brass fixture?

Old 08-24-23, 07:32 AM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
How do I get old paint off brass fixture?

Thoughts on how to get old paint off brass ceiling fixture? I'm not sure when it was painted but it was before we bought the house 11 years ago. We have four brass fixtures with white ceiling paint. I've tried a few chemicals, tried light grit sand paper. But no luck. Made a little progress but not enough.

Old 08-24-23, 07:37 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,219 Upvotes on 1,981 Posts
Oh, I wish you hadn't said sandpaper. Those fixtures are usually NOT brass. Usually they are stamped steel that is plated so whatever brass or chrome you see is very thin and easily sanded through. You might want to consider sanding the old paint to make it smooth then repaint the fixture.

If you want to remove the paint I would first drop the trim rings into a pot of hot or boiling water for a while. Sometimes the paint will come right off. If not try using a latex paint remover. Even with the paint removed you may want to paint the fixture since you've sanded already. Those sanding marks never heal or grow back.

Old 08-24-23, 07:52 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 850 Upvotes on 746 Posts
Denatured alcohol will soften latex paint enough where you can rub it off with a rag BUT if the brass plating isn't real it could remove it also.

I think I'd just get a spray can of brass colored paint and paint it.

Old 08-24-23, 10:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,941 Upvotes on 1,743 Posts
I'd try citristrip. But as mentioned, be wary that you don't damage the plating.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: