Painting Fiberglass Tub Insert

Old 10-16-23, 02:23 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Painting Fiberglass Tub Insert

Was not sure which forum to post. We have a repaired beige fiberglass tub insert (previous owner repaired). There are a few small places that are peeling near the edge and so wanted to paint? to prevent further damage until I can get it replaced since my wife wants new tiled shower. The original repair does not match exactly so this repair does not need to match perfectly either. Any product that could work for this application.

Old 10-16-23, 02:32 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 821 Upvotes on 720 Posts
I don't know what coating would be best but the #1 reason diy tub/shower coatings fail is lack of prep, namely not getting it clean enough. There is a special tub and tile paint which is probably what you'd want to use.

Old 10-16-23, 02:38 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,103 Upvotes on 1,882 Posts
"... places that are peeling..."
That's a problem. Essentially you need to sand the area until you get to clean, solid base material. Thoroughly clean the area to remove all dust, oil and soap residue. Then you can recoat. There are tub glazing (paint) kits or you can use paint. I've even had good luck tinting fiberglass resin and use it as paint. Still, whatever you do it will have a limited life so start picking tile for your remodel.

Old 10-16-23, 03:00 PM
M
I appreciate the information. Would it be best to head to a paint store or would any hardware store have it.

Old 10-17-23, 02:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 821 Upvotes on 720 Posts
A hardware store might have it although a dedicated paint store generally has a better selection and their employees usually are capable of giving good advice.

Old 10-17-23, 07:03 AM
M
Thank you again

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: