Spray Paint Shelf Life

Old 11-04-23, 09:58 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Spray Paint Shelf Life

Hello. Hoping I can ask a question about canned spray paint here.

I have some cans of paint that according to my best, honest guess, are somewhere around 20 years old. I am aware of one rule about paint, and that is to never it freeze, so they have never been exposed to freezing temperatures.

Not expecting any guarantees, but could they still be good, or should I just throw them away?

Thank you for any advice.

Old 11-04-23, 10:45 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 824 Upvotes on 722 Posts
Rattle can paint is normally solvent based so freezing isn't likely to adversely effect it. Cans that old probably aren't any good but the only way to know is to try it. If it sprays ok onto cardboard it's probably ok.

Old 11-04-23, 11:48 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,121 Upvotes on 1,899 Posts
If it sprays I've generally found the paint to still be good.

One thing that has bitten me a couple times is old cans developing leaks. I go to pick the can up and it's firmly stuck to the shelf by the paint that slowly leaked out and glued it down. Most common though they loose pressure. The can may still be full of paint but without pressure in the can it's almost useless.

Old 11-04-23, 04:40 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
I don't have any that old but I've never thrown a can away because it didn't work for a reason other than being empty.

Old 11-05-23, 01:43 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I guess it's unanimous, then. I'll continue to hang onto them, and if the desire to use any of them ever arises, I will at least try them first before buying anything new.

Thank you for the advice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: